What software can add tags and descriptions to Windows 7 files?

Jacquilyn Walker February 4, 2012

Do you know if there’s any programs out there (hopefully for Windows 7) that allow users to add tags and descriptions to files, but then don’t lose them when the file gets moved or renamed? It would need to be for ALL file types.

1. Dave Moreno

I've created a FREEWARE application to address this need.

dmFileNote allows you to create / store / save / update descriptions / comments / notes / tags for any files in Windows, regardless of the file types. Text TXT files, PDF files, JPG files, EXE files, it doesn't matter. It's like having the ability to create digital 'sticky notes' for your files. In the past, the ability to create descriptions for files was limited to certain types of files. For example, document files created using a well-known word processor could have descriptions added to them because their design permits it. However, plain text files, as well as other document files from various sources, are not designed to allow you to add descriptions to them. dmFileNote is the solution!

Works with Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP.

Go to http://www.davemorenosoftware.com and download dmFileNote.

2. Dave Moreno

I've also wanted the same thing for quite some time now.

I've developed an application called dmFileNote which allows you to create descriptions for any file regardless of file type. The descriptions persist even after copy/moving or renaming files, too. In addition, the program creates standard index files (Index_00.txt) which can be imported into file cataloging programs.

dmFileNote is brand new. It's officially ready for public release. I am in the process of creating an official website so I can start distributing the setup files. In the meantime, if you'd like a copy, please respond here and I will upload it to a free dropbox-type site where it can be downloaded.

I will be adding more features to future releases and all feedback is appreciated.

It's FREEWARE, too :)

• Sam Lupo

That sounds promising, Dave. Can you provide a link where one can download dmFileNote from? Thanks.

• Dave Moreno

Right now, I'm trying to find a decent free webhosting service to host my software on. I could host my own webserver at home but my ISP forbids it. I am current unemployed and have no money to spend on webhosting or a domain name. Any ideas? If you'd like, I can e-mail you a copy - it's only 782 KB. zipped.

• NPferr

can you send me a copy dave? here's my email, fernz9025@gmail.com.

thank you.

• Dave Moreno

Here is a link to the dmFileNote version 1.0 setup file:
        http://www.filefactory.com/file/ktmivzehrh1/n/dmFileNote_setup_1_0_exe

Please forgive me if I'm violating any terms of service by posting this link. This is my software, it's freeware, and it's perfectly OK to distribute it freely.

3. Vico

HI,
    I'm with the exact same need, I found that there's a column named as 'tag' in windows 7 but it looks like it's being used ONLY by media files. not for folders, files, etc., it'd be great if we could use it as we need, because the space is there (or it looks like) the engine to display it is there, but I couldn't get access to it.

4. Edson Ferreira

Hello Jacquilyn!

As a user of Taggedfrog I was aware what was going to be a kind of "Taggedfrog 2.0":

http://fileversum.com/

Maybe you should try the beta test program.

Please keep in touch telling if Fileversum is what you have been searching for!

• Jacquilyn Walker

This looks like something that's ona server and requires me to move my files. I'm looking for something that will let me do this without moving them.

• Edson Ferreira

no, you do not need to move files.

It includes a server application with a rich Web interface.
        Implements a flexible description system using attributes.
        Combines documents and contacts in one worflow.
        Supports user groups and user access levels.

Perhaps you should give it a try. For my purposes it was too complicated. All I wanted was a better TaggedFrog.

• Marcus

Hello

Fileversum is basically my brainchild, and if you are interested in giving it a second try, I will be only to glad to talk you through the process. Its a different concept of tagging files, but extremely powerful and not complex. I developed it with Lunar frog, and have been using the beta version in my business for 5 months now.

5. Jacquilyn Walker

Thank you fro trying, but I have way more than just image files to organize. It seems to only has tags. It doesn't say anything about adding descriptions to files.

6. Don Ebberts

I would love to find the same type of thing. I don't know if you do much with photos but what I want is a file system similar to Windows Live Photo Gallery. I could add tags and descriptions to files and also see all the folders and the files within the folders, all at one time. I don't know why they couldn't do the same thing for data files. 

• Jacquilyn Walker

Windows doesn't support it because the files don't let it embed the metadata inside the files, and so you lose it when copying/moving the files, but like windows has never done anything with downsides to it. As far as I've found, win7 doesn't support it at all and there seems to be nothing out there to do this on a local client machine. It's basically come down to coding something myself, paying someone to code it, or paying hundreds of dollars to do this on a server.

Know any programmers?

As for not losing tags and descriptions it depends on how and where you move your files.

For example metadata e.g. ID3-Tags are stored within the file and are carried over wherever you move/copy them.

Certain descriptions and stuff you can add on Windows are stored within NTFS data streams. Once you move them to an alternate file system e.g. FAT32 on your USB drive or EXT3/4 on your NAS they are lost.

If you were using a tool like Adobe Bridge or another media manager to add descriptions, tags etc. they are stored in a database. You would have to move/copy the database along your files to the other system [and obviously use the same tool to retrieve them].

Personally I would rather develop some intelligent folder structure to sort your files into. It's may be cumbersome in the beginning but you can carry it over be it another Windows machine, Linux, Mac or your media player connected to your TV.

• Jacquilyn Walker

It would only have to stay within that install of windows on NTFS drives. Though I thought alt streams didn't work on win7, but I could be wrong.

Honestly I'd really love to set custom columns, like SharePoint, but that seems impossible. Tagging and adding descriptions covers most of what I need. Media managers I've seen only do certain file types, I need all file types.

Personally, after years and years of trying to do so, I've given up on that pointless endeavor. I use my folders to sort out bills, personal, etc. then by class, project, etc., but that's not enough. The file's importance, methods of back up, origins, etc. are lost once I forget them, and I can't add a sentence or two about file specific details. How is this one different from other 10 versions of this digital painting I created? What wasn't working in my code that caused me to back it up? Or what was I about to change that was risky? Sorting into folders by importance makes files impossible to find and breaks links to other files (php, css, indesign, etc.) And that's just on my personal computer, my work computer is quickly starting to have the same problem. It has a database I update manually, but it's becoming too time consuming.

The average computer user can probably sort everything into folders and remember all this information about all their photo's, word doc's, and movies, but I deal with many more files and many more file types. I can't use mac or linux, and my media player for the tv is netlfix on my boyfriend's xbox so there's no need to carry over.

Looking at the complexity of your needs I would rather suggest a Digital Asset Management (DAM) system than some desktop tagging and description tool. 

However those systems often come at a prize and usually require a server setup.

Personally I have only "worked [a few minutes] with Cumulus which is targeted at small business groups.

But I found Razuna Desktop via Google which may be of your interest.

• Jacquilyn Walker

Yeah, I think SharePoint counts as one of those. The company I work at has it, though it's a little clunky and there isn't a place for me to keep my personal files on it.

Yeah, I've noticed that, they tend to be pricey because they're above and beyond what I need (I don't need version control and I don't need to share my files). The problem is the closest thing I have to a server is IIS on my desktop, and I'm pretty clueless when it comes to servers. Not mention my desktop slows down and lags badly when it's being a desktop and server at the same time. I don't want to put my files in there, then they'd be tied to that windows install and on the same hard drive. I have multiple hard drives so I don't have to keep my data on my windows drive.

Razuna Desktop still requires having a server somewhere to hold the files. I don't need them held elsewhere, and like I said, I'm pretty clueless about servers. That's why I was looking for tags and descriptions. The two features might be a slimmed down version of what I really need, but it's more practical than buying a server to hold all my files when my desktop already holds them. And I don't know anything about server security, but I know hackers will try to get in. Thought I do know how to keep my files safe in win7.

• John

Why dont you just farkin name the files differently within a folder!

• Jacquilyn Walker

Because then the file names would exceed the length of a file path/name that windows allows in some cases, I still wouldn't be able to find anything, and there are a small number of cases where renaming them isn't any option. File names aren't mean to be paragraphs / sentences or else they'd be called file descriptions.

• Syed Rahman

Hello Mike

I have some confusion in Alternate data streams, ID3 Tags, EXIF, MS Word metadata attached to file etc.

As Alternate data stream (ADS) is used to attach metadata to file that moves with the file in case of supported file systems. For example we will lost it, if moved to flash drive having fat32 file system.

I do not know, how ID3, EXIF and MS Word metadata are attached to file. Are they attached using ADS or on separate technique?

But I don't think they are attached using ADS because I copied an mp3 audio, jpg image and MS Word files to usb flash drive having fat32 file system but I haven't lost the metadata.

Can someone please explain how ID3, EXIF, and Metadata of Microsoft office files are attached to files.

• jacquilynwalker

Actually I can answer some of that from the research I did for this.

ADS aren't available in window7 according to what I found when I went looking, but basically that data is stored in the file system itself (which is similar to being stored inside windows). FAT32 doesn't support ADS at all, so if you put something in the ADS, it can't go with the file when you copy it.

I'm not certain of ID3 and EXIF, but I think they work like docx. Microsoft made windows 7 not able to sort additional data about files in the file system, but didn't limit what a file type can store about itself. The metadata in word, excel, etc. is actually inside the files themselves. A MS Word file stores a lot more than just the words inside the document, that's why they have larger files sizes than .txt files with the same word count. So this metadata can't be lost by changing file systems because it's actually a piece of the file (unlike ADS which are part of the file system).

Many picture file type (jpg for example) also have metadata such as tags stored inside the files. This works great when the file type/s you're working with support the metadata you want. However, it's per file type and not global. Unless you know some advanced programming, have a lot of free time, and don't mind that it might count as breaking a few laws, you can't change every file type to include the metadata you want inside the file.

When I said move in my question, I meant just moving around a single harddrive, not to other drives. However such a thing seems to not exist, free or not.

• Jacquilyn Walker

tabbles only has tags. I need more than just tags.

if you cantact Tabbles explaining what you are looking for may be they can guide you.

you can try other Explorer like directory opus
        http://blog.dopus.com/2009/04/how-to-add-commentsdescriptions-to.html
        http://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus9/default.htm?turl=WordDocuments%2Ffiletypeeditor.htm

• Jacquilyn Walker

I have.

DO seems to just allow descriptions, and no other custom metadata. Unfortunately, I need more than only descriptions for custom metadata.

you need a system that stores the extra meta data in a file along-side your files ( stores it's .ini files along with your files).
          Alternate Data Streams
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/105763

• Jacquilyn Walker

I've heard of them, but I don't really understand them. If they work on windows 7 then I'm getting something mixed up.

Honestly I'm thinking about just learning access so I can just build what I want, since it doesn't seem to be out there for downloading/buying.

• Jacquilyn Walker

The only tools I'm seeing for Alternate Data Streams are for hiding one file in one other file, not for handling many files and columns at once.

quite right 
          http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=security/altds

perhaps then to ask a developer to arrange a tool that matches your requirements. It is difficult to find a soft that gathers all of these.

• Jacquilyn Walker

Yeah, I've been looking and not finding anything. I don't really know that many programmers, and most aren't looking to just code things for people, so I don't know if that's an option for me, but that's pretty much where this may have come to. Thank you for trying.

• Jacquilyn Walker

Hello, Have you tried tag2find?  It is pretty much automated once database is built.

http://www.techishare.com/softwares/search-and-find-your-files-easily-with-tag2find/

There is also Taggedfrog:
    http://lunarfrog.com/

or, DiviFile:
    http://www.qnomad.com/divifile/

If you want to use tools included with windows 7, take a look af following link:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/tag-your-files-for-easier-searches-in-windows-7/4024

• Jacquilyn Walker

I'm pretty sure I have tried half of those. They only allow tagging, and the last suggestion is only a for a few file types. I needs tags and descriptions as 2 separate features for all file types.

Hello, I found this projects named Reggata.  It can do both, tags and notes.  If you are interested, here is the link:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/reggata/

• Jacquilyn Walker

Sorry but I can't try that from my work computer because McAfee blocks the download. It claims there's a virus, and while that doesn't mean there is one, that does mean McAfee will probably block installing the program as well, so that won't work.

The URL Fidelis posted no longer leads to the actual project, at least not for me. Seems like Sourceforge has discontinued it.

Hi Tina, I just tried clicking on link and it takes me to regata project.

Well, the link does work again now.

Hello, I downloaded and installed this software before recommending it.  I use bitdefender Internet Security and it does not report anything untoward with file/program.  Kaspersky does not report any wrong with it either. It is a zip file.  I also checked it with virus total and it comes up clean.   Here is the link for virus total results for .exe file:

https://www.virustotal.com/file/3c2f5a0e24e5f60bf1f140a873ec29e316b74696501a59120bf20212a1dba402/analysis/1329432538/

Here is the link for URL project link with virus total:

https://www.virustotal.com/url/ac70220b8e25bf0bd78b4af993bd3752e385dcec56c9cacb0a113d643b52bb4e/analysis/1329432744/

Anyway, you are right about mcafee probably blocking the installation too. if the antivirus at your work tells you there is something funny with it, do not run it. Better be safe than sorryl.

• Jacquilyn Walker

I've had McAfee eat files it though were viruses that I had used on many installs of windows without any problems (since my normal security thought they were fine). But it's the laptop work gave me (and does all support for), so I don't get any say in what security it uses.

10. Karkala Nayak

Hello Jacquilyn Walker,     

I found this software called TagFolder. why don't you give it a try... here is the Video link and the Link to the TagFolder website

Video Link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12wOOSxSob8 

Website Link
    http://virtual-protect.com/tagfolder.aspx 

Download Link
    http://virtual-protect.com/myfolder.aspx 

ALSO

check out this software too..
    Here is the link and the name of the software is "Folder Tag"..
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Folder-Tag.shtml 

Hope it helped

Your stranger,
    Kayantihsrah

• Jacquilyn Walker

That appears to allow users to add tags to folders. I need to add tags to files, and I need to also add descriptions to my files. Thank you for trying, but that doesn't seem to be what I need.