How does Snopes get past my pop-up blocker?

Scott February 27, 2010

I use Firefox 3.5.8 and I never see pop-up ads – with the exception of whenever I visit snopes.com. As soon as I put my cursor in their search box, 2 pop-up ads appear.
How do they do that, and more importantly, how do I squash them before they pop up?

1. Consaka

I have popups blocked in Chrome and I still get popups. they seem timed. I dont notice anything that I do that would trigger them.

Consaka,

the question you replied to is rather old. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer and I'm afraid not many other people will see your question. To receive fresh answers, I suggest that you ask a new question.

2. Kimberley B

How do we block them in Chrome, Saikat?

3. Saikat Basu

It's done using Javascript. When you place a cursor in the search box, the search box gets the focus and that triggers the Javascript to launch the two windows as pop-ups. There are various Firefox extensions that go by the name of ad-blockers or pop-up ad blockers. They do the job.