Which smartphone would you recommend for me: the Sony Xperia M Dual, Nokia Lumia 620 or Nokia Lumia 525?

Yashodhan B January 15, 2014

I am in great need of the help & expertise of all of you to pick one smartphone out of these:

• Sony Xperia M Dual
  • Nokia Lumia 620
  • Nokia Lumia 525

I need it for my Mom, a working woman, so the constraints of good quality camera or high internal storage are irrelevant in my case, but this does not mean that I can blindly go for Sony Xperia M Dual with only 4 Gig internal storage (1.41 usable – a pity).

Also I read somewhere that no third party app can be installed on micro SD card in Sony Xperia M Dual. Is that so ? Please do suggest.

Also suggest whether to skip Nokia Lumia 620 only because of 0.5 G RAM considering the fact that she doesn’t multitask or game much.

Furthermore, she needs to have a cell with appreciable amount of battery backup. The budget is around 12K with brand preference of Sony, Samsung & Nokia only.

I have browsed a lot, searched a bit but my heart seems to be at cross purposes with my mind. Hence the help needed.
Eagerly waiting for your valuable responses.

In regards to your question about not being able to install apps to the external SD, you are right. Android 4.0.4 and up disabled the ability to transfer apps to external storage natively. If you would want to install or transfer apps to the external SD card, you would need to root the phone, format and partition the external SD card to have two primary partitions, then install APPS2SD III or similar app to work around the restriction. Thousands of android users are very upset at the implementation of these restrictions, which is why there is a bigger demand for safe rooting method for almost every Android device.

2. Vipul J

Hi Yashodhan. Seeing you have a budget of INR 12000, and it is for your mom, you need not worry about the technicalities like updates, free apps etc.

First ask her which form factor would she prefer (qwerty, touchscreen or a numeric dialpad). If she has selected and already used a touchscreen, I'd say for the Lumia 520 instead of the ones you've listed. The difference between the 520 & 525 is only the RAM. 512 MB & 1GB.

And considering she's a working woman, I suppose all she'd care about is good battery backup, responsiveness, ease of access, the very basic apps (calender, messaging, calls, whatsapp, camera) and maybe some light fun gaming. So a 512 MB RAM is more than enough of handling all this, that too on a Nokia platform.

My friend has recently bought one for INR7500 only and he's very happy with it, also has similar needs. So take a look at that. But if 512 seems low to you, go for the 525. 620 is the weirdest product in Nokia's line. It's weaker than the 520 but costs about INR 4000 more just because it has a flashlight on the back.

Xperia M dual on the other hand is great too, but android is very well known to last only a day. So battery life being a deciding factor here, I wouldn't recommend the M. Also reception in dual SIM mobiles sucks.

• Yashodhan B

Thank you for a good insight. It definitely, is a leading recommendation.
      I was about to consider Lumia 525 too.

3. Md Mukhtar M

i am from india and i recommend you to buy MIcromax canvas A116i which is available as cheap as 11k and have specs like 1 gb ram , 1.2 ghz quad core cpu , IPS display etc, I own canvas A116 and i am totally satisfied with it and this A116i is successor of A116.

• Md Mukhtar M

try to convince your mom to buy Indian company product instead of Korean company.

4. dragonmouth

Does your mother really need a smartphone or does she just need a cell phone? DO you want to get her a smartphone because "everybody else has one?"

Dear Yashodhan B,
    I won't compare these phones feature for feature as I'm not the best person to do this, and am nor familiar with prices in India (I'm guessing you are from there, but if not, let us know!).

However, I will say this. If all your mother needs is a decent working phone, then any of these will do the job. There are obviously many more apps available for the Sony (Android) than for the Nokias, but if the bundled apps are sufficient, then go on budget, battery life and size/ appearance.

With regards to storage, again, if your mother doesn't intend to store a lot of photos, video or music on the phone, then it really matters very little, and unless she does a fair bit of multitasking, the RAM is a non-issue as well. Of course, if she does need any of these things, then you'll need to provide us with more details so we can advise you better.
    Happy shopping!

• Yashodhan B

Thank you for for kind reply Mr. Oron!

A detail that I forgot to put in was that dual Sim configuration in the cell is the prime need. Having said that I think we are left with only one clear option which is that of Sony.

However, one question still remains unanswered : Can I install third party apps in the external storage of a smartphone (micro SD cards) or not ?

None of the answer that the got addressed this issues.
      Please do guide if you can.