Why do I see a smart hard disk check failure error whenever I boot Windows 7 Starter?

Shah May 8, 2011

I am using HP Mini110-3500 notebook with Windows 7 Starter.

Whenever I start the system, it gives a message: ‘the smart hard disk check has detected an imminent failure. To ensure not data lose, please backup the content immediately and run the hard disk test in system diagnostic. Hard disk 1 (301), want to continue press enter’

Well, I really don’t understand this error. I did the hard disk test in system diagnostic but nothing happened. The test was finished as normal and I didn’t get any message from there and still the problem is the same. The system runs and works fine. Can you give some useful suggestions please? I will be thankful. Thanks.

1. Daniel A Roberts

You're being fooled by Malware.  It's pretending your SMART HDD error is real.  All it does is make a fake report.  Look in the lower right hand side.  It will say something like "Trial Version" and if you give them money, they will 'fix' the errors. Only problem, there are no errors to fix.  They will only disable the message after you pay them.  Or get the malware scrubbed off your hard drive.  

2. Val_mcguire

i have smart disk error on my hp computer have backed up everything and now its not letting me do the diagnostics test any idea whats wrong only 1 year old

• Bryan Stanley

i bought my hp mini netbook in afghanistan 2 yrs ago, has windows 7 starter, and no major issues. i just want to know how dif starter is than the original version

3. Twizz

well there are reports on the web of people living with these failure messages for over 2 years. I think on these cheaper notebooks the SMART is easily messed up by updated drives. 

4. Imperial13

My hard drive started giving me the same problems this week. Hp DV7 S.M.A.R.T hard drive test error 301. The laptop is about 8 months old. I suspect the hdd has been running on higher than usual temperatures and this error comes up.^

(It happened about a week after I bought the laptop as well and i had had to format the hdd)

Will do the same this time and hope for the best.

Imperial,

were you able to fix the issues with your hard drive?

5. Booyah

@Elker-17, really? you must be a genius.

• HPPAV

sadly im pretty sure he is correct... when SMART fails, that means that there is some physical problem with your hard disk and it will actually just be destroyed and unusable soon

6. Elsker-17

@ha14 the fail is not the operating system noob, it is the hardware, the harddisk. I have the same problem, it means that the harddisk will be fucked very soon.

• Andresderaadt

Seriusly?

Run “chkdsk /f /r” to repair problems related to bad sectors, lost
    clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors from the Command prompt in
    System Recovery Options menu.

Note: When you run the check disk, there are chances of losing data so
    you can take a backup of your files before running check disk.

a. Insert the installation
    disc.

b. Restart your
    computer.

c. Click the Start button,
    click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Restart. If prompted,
    press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.

Note: If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD,
    check the information that came with your computer.

d. Choose your language
    settings, and then click Next.

e. Click Repair your
    computer.

f. Select the operating
    system you want to repair, and then click Next.

g. On the System Recovery
    Options menu, click Command prompt.

h. At a command prompt, type
    the following command, and then press ENTER

Chkdsk /f /r X:( drive letter)

i. Press Y when you are
    prompted to check the disk the next time that the system restarts.

j. Close all applications,
    and then restart the computer

Refer to “Check a drive for errors”
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors

If that does not resolve, then you may have to contact HP for more
    help.