How do I use Skype?

Alexis Kennedy January 2, 2012

I have Skype on my laptop, but (call me an idiot) I can’t figure out how it works. Can you help me? Is there a setup process that I am missing/messing up maybe?

1. nitish

i need to buy a laptop just for video chat please suggest me my budget is 25000 rs

2. Chris Hoffman

Well, first you'll have to open it up and sign in with a Skype name and password. Click Create a New Account on the login screen to create one if you don't already have one.

Use the options on the welcome screen to adjust your sound settings and learn how Skype works. If you don't see it, click the Help menu and select Welcome Screen. It'll walk you through troubleshooting any audio problems and introduce you to Skype.

After that, you can click Add a Contact to add other Skype users and call them for free from your contacts list. Or click Call Phones (costs money!) to call actual phones.

• Alexis

Thanks a lot.  I have no idea what it could have been that I was doing before, but I followed your instructions and all turned out fine!  Thanks again for the help.