Why are Skype calls with my sister not clear?

Nancy October 1, 2012

Whenever I skype with my sister we always have the problem of what sounds like air rushing by the speakers. I moved my fan and told her to do so too if she had anything but its still there. They even moved the computer to a different room but still heard it. It is only when I skype with this one person, everyone else I can hear fine. An earlier question that said it sounded like a flush was probably the closest I could compare it to.

1. Vishal Mishra

i think this problem is due to some malfunction in microphone. To check your microphone, record something using Microsoft sound recorder [ Start menu> All programs> accessories> Entertainment> Sound recorder (this is for Windows XP) ] and listen to it.

2. hamad3914

Check the microphones you both use

3. Jordyn Bushaw

When it comes to Skype, the call clarity is higher when you get the best network signal, and when you have high speed internet.

4. Wil Perez

It might be bandwidth between you and your sister. If there is heavy data use, chances are the packets are not being prioritize.

5. Dimal Chandrasiri

if you face this only when you are calling your sister, the problem is with her. not you.

The worst things is she might be using a cheap microphone to interact. ask her to use a different mic and check the problem exist. if it does, try reducing the mic gain from the sound settings! this would solve the issue!

6. Deekshith Allamaneni

I think your sister has enabled MicBoost feature (in Windows 7). Disable if it is enabled. Even I had the same problem and solved by disabling MicBoost.

7. Alex Perkins

It could be interference in the wires, if there is a tv, wireless landline phone, microwave, oven or anything like that, try and get further away from it.

8. GrrGrrr

ask ur sister to make a test skype call, record her voice and play it back.
    If she hears the same flushing sound then the problem is at her end.

Also you may try to use google voice to confirm the issue.

9. Justin Pot

I'm thinking the problem is her microphone. Does she use Skype with anyone else? Find out if they also have this problem.

10. Freecycle Me

I would have to agree that it is most likely your sister's issue. either the microphone, feedback on her end between mic and her speaker, or her volume level sent is low. I would recommend looking at all these and get her to do a skype system check on volume etc. She can also make a call to skype and have it sent back to see if it is still there

11. Ahmed Khalil

make same test for your sister, mean let hear test the program with here friend to check if she get same problem.

i think it will be most propably the microphone of your sister not good or the connection speed form her side not good

12. Rob Hindle

If you can skype other people fine it implies a problem at your sisters end.

In that case she have the same problem Skyping other people.
    The sound should get better if you turn off video.
    Is the problem limited to skype or does it affect any other audio programs?
    Have you tried the Skype echo test.

You could experimenting with Tools>Options>Audio settings

It could be electrical interference (like if you leave a mobile phone near a radio the radio starts to make odd noises a moment before the phone rings).

13. Niharika K Rai

Bruce is right.
    This can be due to either network fluctuation or hardware problem.

Have your sister record a short video with her webcam (with audio) and play it back. If the sound is in the recorded video, the problem is most likely the microphone being used (external mic or integrated into the webcam). Using a better microphone should resolve the issue. Cheap microphones (including those used in webcams) generally are not very good. The other possibility is that it is picking up sound from the computer's fans itself. Position the webcam/mic as far away from the computer as possible and try again.

15. Paulo De Faria

Maybe the problem is your sister computer, probably she doesn't have a good microphone... or maybe the microphone of her computer is a piece of shit.

I hope I helped