Why doesn’t Skydrive Simple Viewer work for me?

Ray May 3, 2012

I am following instructions in a MakeUseOf article about mapping Windows Explorer to Skydrive.

Instructions to Retrieve The WebDAV (I don’t have a demo of Office 2010) recommends using SkyDriveSimpleViewer which I downloaded.

After following the instructions, the SkyDriveSimpleViewer says it retrieved no folders. Note that I have the Documents and Public folders that came with Skydrive, and I created a folder in the Root called “My Sync Drive”.

Any ideas as to why this does not work would be appreciated.

Instead of going through that complex method, just download Microsoft's SkyDrive software. It will automatically allow you to use Windows Explorer to access your files. You can download it here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/skydrive/download-skydrive

• Ray

Thank you Bruce. I wonder why this did not show up at top of list when I Googled for it. Guess there might be some competition out there (but I hope that is not the case.)

This worked as I wished. I just wish I had found it sooner. It's easy and works just like DropBox which is what I wanted.

• Ray

I had gone to the trouble of installing the Office 2010 demo to get Retrieve The WebDAV. Did not want to go there. When I mapped the drive and did properties on it it said I had

Total 53,699,135,680 Used 39,290,212,728 Free 14,198,013,952 bytes. These numbers seem out of place, any idea what it mean?

It's not one of the areas I have played around, so I'm not sure what the software is looking at to get those numbers. I'm hoping to play with the trial after a couple of other current projects close down, so I may be able to find out then.

As for the SkyDrive software not showing up on Google, it is a recent addition. I only found it less than 2 weeks ago. It probably just hasn't been indexed yet.