How do I skip DVD movie advertisements?

jessica October 15, 2014

How do I skip DVD advertisements?

I just wondered if there is a convenient way of just choosing the main movie file from a DVD disc, bypassing annoying advertisements, previews, trailers, etc…

Also, I tried to clone the DVD disc to my hard drive with VLC, but nothing happens. Is there a way to do this?

Have any good suggestions? Thanks so much in advance!

Hello, to accomplish what you want, you would a DVD ripper. Something like DVDFab but it is not a free program.

You can't just choose "the main movie" because technically there is no such thing. In essense, DVDs have a large set of ".VOB" video files representing parts of the video content (including "angles" of the same moment) and audio & subtitles in different languages together.

All of these are "stitched together" using menu files and other organisational files which in effect work a little like a program. There's nothing there that says "This is the main movie" or anything like that. This is also the reason you can't skip the adverts - they're part of the program and the DVD player has to obey the instructions.

If you want to transfer the video to your computer then of course you can remove the first part of the film. In VLC, this is quite easy to do, though in my experience not 100% reliable. To do this:
    1. Run VLC
    2. Insert the DVD and wait for it to be recognised.
    3. In VLC, choose Media=>Open Disc...
    4. Select your DVD and play it.
    5. At the point where you want to start the recording, press the red "Record" button just below the timeline.
    6. When you want to stop recording, simply pause or stop the playing. The video will be shown in the Videos library under the name "vlc-record--dvd... The video will be in mpeg format.

Alternatively, you can use a program like Handbrake to convert your DVD. It's a little more difficult ot control what you are recording (because the program only shows you a list of chapters etc and doesn't have a preview), but you have a wider range of conversion options.