What skills should I learn to be a programmer?

Samrudh Shetty March 6, 2012

I am on summer holiday and I want to learn something new. I don’t know programming, but am interested in it. Where do I start? What’s the best language to start with or the best source for tutorials?

1. Swaroop Nunna

Above all, should develop the skill of understand the exact requirements

2. Roman Vávra

html ---> css ---> ruby / python...

3. sam

hi all, i would like to learn android app development. To become a android developer, i knew i must know Java. My concern is, i don't know anything about programming except the spelling of java. And im 33years old now. Is it possible to learn the programming language in short span ( in a year). Pls advice.

Sam,

In case you are still waiting for an answer, please post a new question.

It depends entirely on what kind of software you want to write. If you want quick results, like an android or iphone app, skip over C. You have have one summer right? Learning C will be a real programming track, but its a long and arduos process. If you want to just jump in and get results, figure out what you want to write for first and go from there. 

I would recommend learning C, HTML, and Batch scripting. These are all easy languages to learn, and between these you can build up to the more advanced.

Also if you are interested in learning more towards the web side of things I would really recommend looking at http://www.codecademy.com

• Vijay

but why there is only javascript in their catalogue ?

It is the easiest language to teach that way, they only do one language, but do it well. That Said, it looks like  the site is setup for others, only javascript has been setup.

6. Karkala Nayak

Hello Samrudh,
    Lets start by saying that programming is the process of designing, writing, testing, debugging, and maintaining the source code of computer programs. 

As you are a beginner I recommend you First learn "C programming". which is very easy to learn and will help you understand the basic concepts of what programming really is.

Then after learning C, you an move on to learning "C++ Programming" which is a Object oriented Programming Language(OOP) and is a superset of C. 

After learning C++ you can learn Java Programming. Java derives much of its syntax from C and C++. So it will be easier for you to learn Java, If you know C and C++.

You can also learn Objective-C Programming Language. This language gives C full object oriented programming capabilities. This language is used in developing IOS apps(Used by Mac developers).

You can also Learn Small Basic(Microsoft) Then learn Pascal Programming Language. Pascal you can learn straight away, but I suggest learn small Basic Programming then Pascal.

There are many Programming language out there but The once I mentioned will help you the most.

I also Recommend that you learn Programming language from a good Programming Teacher as it is better to understand a language from a specialist in that field then learning by your self from online websites.He will also be able to help you solve problems when programming error occurs and you will get to learn new things that you might never get to know when learning by yourself 

I hope it helped
    :)