Why does a site worth estimator claim that my website is listed in DMOZ although it is not?

amanda schmidt May 19, 2011

Why when I use the website worth calculator on siteworthchecker.com does it say my site is listed in DMOZ, but it actually is not? A few other similar tools show the same thing.

The best answer for that would be "because it is wildly inaccurate". Site worth checkers are _notoriously_ inaccurate. I run a number of websites, and over the years have looked into several such checkers. They always get the visitors count absolutely wrong (by a huge margin), and just about every other metric is incorrect, too. I sometimes think they work by just randomizing a bunch of numbers and then showing them on the screen. 

That said, if several of them claim your site to be listed on dmoz, I would be curious. Would you mind telling me what your site is? I'd like to have a quick look myself if possible.

• Rahul Roy

great reply