What is the best and simplest product to convert old vinyl LPs into digital files for the iPod?

Marina June 18, 2010

I’ve heard of the ISO brand, and Numark. Wanted to know if anybody has used either brand with positive results.

Marina,

have you tried converting vinyl LPs in the meantime? Which tool did you use and are you happy with the result? We appreciate your feedback!

There was also an article on MakeUseOf about this. The article shows steps for converting LPs to MP3 files.How To Convert Audio Cassettes & LPs to MP3 in 5 Easy Steps

In the UK, Numark sell digitising turntables and cassette players which are cheap rebadged products available under many other names (e.g. Veho). I've see their little cassette player recently and was not impressed at all. Apparently it was easy to use, but the sound quality was rubbish. Here's how I do digitise my music. Hopefully it will be of help to you:
    I use a good quality turntable and cassette player (hi fi separates can be bought quite cheaply on eBay).
    These are connected to an ART USBPhono Plus USB interface which connects to the computer, in effect replacing the sound card. There are many good 'USB soundcards' out there, and they are generally much better than the built in soundcards (if only because they do the digitising outside that electrically noisy-jungle which is the inside of a PC). Expect to pay $40-100 for a decent USB converter.

I then use Audacity to do the recording and that's about it. This is a bit long winded. It may be easier to use specific recording software though, such as LP Recorder.

Good luck!