What is the best and most simple relational database for .jpg files?

Malcolm Sperry March 19, 2012

I’ve got oodles of magazine articles, papers, letters etc. that I’d like to photograph (.jpg), arrange them in some searchable “tag” system, then toss’em all out. I use exclusively Linux Ubuntu & Puppy sometimes.

Any ideas of a simple relational type of filing system?

I thought about OpenOffice, but it’s too complex and kinda spooks me that I might accidentally lose it all. Any ideas?

1. mac

Since a posted this I've come to realize that just a tag type of photoAlso, Safaricom is not a contract producer of software/firmware. manager won't completely do because I won.t be able to search html files I saved from the Internet. So, could you recommend a file manager?

I see where Dolphin uses tags but is for KDE, which I believe is related to kabuntu and may not work in ubuntu 10.04, right?/mac

The potential problem with digiKam is that it was specifically written for KDE.  I haven't actually tried it myself, but it may not work properly (or at all) under Gnome (since Malcolm is using Ubuntu).

You can use F-Spot Foto Manager.  It is part of the Ubuntu 10.04 distribution and you can install it from the Software Center if it is not already installed.

If you feel adventurous, you can always roll your own.