Why does the + sign appear after typing the letters Q and W on my PC?

susendeep dutta August 10, 2011

I’m using a four year old PC and it has Windows XP SP3, 1 GB DDR1 RAM, Intel Dual Core @ 2.8 GHZ.

Whenever I type on my keyboard and when I come to type words starting with w and q, immediately after that a + sign gets typed automatically. Why is it so?

1. Ram

even i am suffering from same problem. Dutta did u find solution to the problem, please let me know+++++++++++++++++++

• Susendeep Dutta

No.I didn't find that.I think it's a serious hardware problem.My PC technician told me that it might be due to faulty keyboard and I've not got a chance to test this using another keyboard.

Yes, doing that will avoid this problem.  As far as I know Windows 7, and its predecessors like Vista and XP, ignore the BIOS settings for the NumLock key as a

standard security feature.

Hello, is this a usb keyboard or a ps2? Are you living in the US?

• Susendeep Dutta

My keyboard is PS2 one.I'm living in India and I have no option to select India as my region.

Hello, you are right about not being able to set India as your region.  From what you have said, i guess your only option for now is to make sure that your num lock key is not in use to avoid the problem.

• Susendeep Dutta

Ok.I'm making sure to not to use NUM lock key.Does setting the NUM lock key not to be lit during boot up by setting it in BIOS will avoid this problem?

Hello, first thing you should try is the following:
    unplug keyboard,
    restart computer and,
    plug keyboard back. 

You could also try using a different keyboard to see if the same thing happens.  Have you checked your NUM LK/SCRN LK/ keys?

Have you checked the settings for your keyboard?  Make sure to check the region and language settings in the control panel.

• Susendeep Dutta

When done all your above steps , there's no beep while boot up which used to be before.The beep used to beep occasionally.

Sometimes the NUM lock light stops to lit after sometime and then + sign continues to be automatically typed in typing spaces.

I have checked settings and it's already set to United states.

And this problem remains occasional.