Why is a ‘+’ sign inserted after every ‘w’ I type?

Susendeep Dutta August 26, 2010

I’m using a PentiumD Dual core 2.8, 250 GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, ASrock motherboard, Samsung DVD writer.

Whenever I boot my PC it used to normally beep once. But for some weeks I found that the problem didn’t got resolved even after reinstalling my operating system and getting it fixed by a mechanic.

Whenever I type in this ‘+’ sign gets typed continuously. Please help me!

Note from editor:
This post was edited and all ‘+’ signs were removed. A single ‘+’ appeared after every ‘w’. A long stretch of ‘+’s was inserted after the ‘w’ in the word ‘between’, but this was the only instance of multiples in a row. From the original text I saw I conclude that the issue only comes up when typing a ‘w’.

Susendeep, you didn't answer Tina's main question, which is whether your PC beeps more than once whenever your boot up. If it does, it's a serious hardware problem. If not, my guess is that your keyboard is faulty (borrow a keyboard from someone and try it on your PC to confirm).

Oron, I think he did, he wrote it now beeps twice.Susendeep, you need to check what the two beeps (long or short) mean for your specific BIOS version. I provided the resources above.As Oron and I have suggested, just try another keyboard. Borrow one from a friend, if it fixes the issue, buy a new one.Oh yeah, and reclaim the money you paid for the mechanic as he obviously didn't manage to fix your computer.

• Susendeep Dutta

I don't know much about bios but I know that mine is American megatrends incorporation and it beeps twice sometimes thrice during boot up.The keyboard I'm using was purchased on 1/8/2009.

Definitely a hardware issue.

Check out AMI beep codes here: http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

Are your two or three beeps long or short? It might not be the keyboard after all. Let us know which error message applies to your beep code.

• Susendeep Dutta

Mine is 1 short beep after the normal motherboard beep.According to the link given by you I have DRAM refresh failure - The programmable interrupt timer or programmable interrupt controller has probably failed.

But when I was speaking with the owner of the PC repair shop he was referring to memory problem and they didn't do anything about it.At that time my computer was not even booting up.I have not asked for refund as they have atleast made my PC bootable and able to ask you for solution.

Susendeep,

you should seriously talk to that PC repair shop again. They may have made your PC boot again, but you still have a serious hardware issue, so they didn't really manage to fix your computer. DRAM *is* memory by the way. So as you're saying they did find the issue, but failed to fix it. Why would they not fix it?

I recommend that you ask a new question regarding possible fixes for the DRAM refresh failure.

Oh, and does your keyboard work again?

• Susendeep Dutta

I have tried every possible ways to do so but they are ignoring me so I have left them.My keyboard is still in the same condition.Whenever I boot my PC I quickly start my browser to connect to internet which requires login but in the user id space it is automatically filled with + sign and Some other time while browsing it is in the search and address bar and while creating word documents it is typed there automatically.

• Susendeep Dutta

So do I need to buy a DDR2 RAM or a new CPU?

I don't know.

By the way, I don't think a DRAM issue explains the issues with your keyboard. The two are probably not related.

Anyways, I shared all my ideas with you, there is nothing else I can suggest.

Susendeep,

please read the note I left in your question above. It seems that the '+' is inserted after every 'w' you type. Can you please confirm this?

Your description is a little confusing. Does your computer still beep only once? Or did that change recently, even after re-installation? Please clarify!

If you hear more than one beep, you have a hardware issue. Every time your computer boots up, it goes through a 'power-on self-test' (POST). One beep indicates everything is fine. Multiple beeps, however, indicate an issue and also what type of issue. The beeps are a code. To translate the code you need to find out which BIOS your computer is using. Then you can look up the code in the Computer Hope beep codes tables.

How is your keyboard connected? Is this a PS/2, USB 1.0, USB 2.0 or wireless keyboard?

Try to connect a different keyboard and see whether the problem with the '+' signs persists.

• Susendeep Dutta

I have read the note and I agree that it gets typed after w++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ord w++++++++++++++++++++++++++

see now+ too.even after reinstalling os it beeps +++++tw+icw++++++++++++++++e
      my keyboard is PS/2 of iball company.Earlier I had PS/2 keyboard of i ball w+hich had usb port in it .B++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ut the port got burned after I inserted my kingston +8 GB pendrive.+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++
      +++++++now ++++see it is getting typed even w+ith other wo+rds too.I'm sorry that you w+ill find it difficult to read as w+henever I tried to stop it by pressing backspace button it would continue to+ b+e typed+++++++++++++++++++++after that.