How can I get Shutdown Timer to work on my Windows computer?

Dev Graves August 1, 2011

Regarding the article Automatically Turn Off Your Computer With Shutdown Timer Automatically Turn Off Your Computer With Shutdown Timer [Windows] Automatically Turn Off Your Computer With Shutdown Timer [Windows] Read More .

I can’t get the application to shut down properly. It crashes half way through. Can I get help here? Thanks.

1. Rodrigo

As an alternative, you could also use windows' own timed shutdown solution. Assuming you are using Windows XP or newer, just open the run dialog and type (without the quotes) "shutdown -s -t -*time for the shutdown in seconds". if this doesn't work, just add an -f after the -s, so windows will force close any program that might be stopping the shutdown.

To cancel the shudown process, all you need to do is go back to the run window and type "shutdown -a".

And for convenience purposes, if you happen to constantly schedule your computer to shutdown after the same amount of time, you can easily create a .bat program to automatize the process. Just open Notepad, type the command and save as a .bat. This way, you can even assign shortcuts to your "utilities". Here are some useful parameters you can use with the shutdown command:

-s Tells windows to shut down;
    -r Tells windows to reboot;
    -f Tells windows to force kill any program before shutting down or rebooting
    -t xx Especifies a time in seconds for the shudowns process to take place. Let's say you want to turn off your computer in 2 hours from now. Just multiply 2 hours by 60 minutes, then again by 60 seconds, and you have the amount of seconds you need to replace "xx" with (in this case 2x60=120 120x60=7200 seconds)

Hope this helps!

Rodrigo Silva

2. M.S. Smith

Does your computer normally crash when shutting down, or only when you use Shutdown Timer?

Although there is a way to do it within Windows Event Scheduler, I recommend Accurate Shutdown
    http://www.accuratesolution.net/accurateshutdown.htm

It's a trial, but on the last day it asks you for the key saying "trial has expired", press "Enter key" and then when the prompt comes up to enter a key, press "cancel" and you got yourself the full version. (It goes to the tray after you press cancel)