How can I shut down my PC more quickly?

Terence Booth May 13, 2010

My PC shutdown is frustratingly slow. Many of the tweaks on the web have been tried to no avail. I have now downloaded (but not yet installed) superfast.exe. However, I have seen in the past that this method of instant PC shutdown may ‘damage’ your computer. Is it safe to use this software?

1. fruitgeek

For WinXP anyway, there is superfast shutdownhttp://download.cnet.com/SuperFast-Shutdown/300...

2. SJ

I hate going to "Start" "Shutdown", "Shutdown" when I can just double-click a desktop icon instead.
    In Win XP, you can create a desktop shortcut to shutdown the computer using the path "%windir%system32shutdown.exe -s -t 0". The "-t 0" switch immediately runs C:Windowssystem32shutdown.exe. The "-s" (for shutdown) can also be replaced with "-h" if you prefer to hibernate instead.
    It doesn't speed up the computer's shutdown process as recommended in previous replies, but uses fewer actions to get it started shutting down.

3. Steve Campbell

I agree with Jack. The reason your computer takes so long to shut down is there are too many processes or programs being started at boot. Decrease the load on your processor and everything will run smoothly. There are probably a lot of programs running at start unnecessarily.

For my laptop, I hibernate it. Takes 8 seconds to boot up.

If you go to run in your start menu, and type in msconfig, in the startup tab, deselect any unnecessary programs. This should increase your boot speed by a bit.