Should I use PCMover to prepare a re-installation of Windows 7?

Fred G July 14, 2013

I have been getting a BSOD regularly for a few weeks. I have tried all the steps to rectify, but still happening.

So I am at the do a fresh install of Windows 7 and see if that works stage.

My question is, would PCMover make my life easier, or am I better off just reinstalling everything manually?

1. Chris M

Alan and Bruce are right. Start from scratch. If you do all the work of a migration and get the same error, it'll be frustration time. Worse than before, too, cause you fixed it but its not fixed.

Good luck.

If you are going to do a complete reinstall, I would simply back up all data files then perform the nuke & pave. PCMover by default will attempt to move more than just data and you may end up migrating your problem. If you want to start fresh, you may as well go all the way with it.

• Fred G

Thanks Bruce
      That is where I am at, I have made a couple of different back ups and am just having one last dig at a repair then it is wipe time :(

3. Alan W

Have you checked the BSOD error code? It could be a hardware problem.
    If you havnt then write down the code so we can check it If you are going to do a reinstall then start from scratch and reinstall your software after it otherwise if your problem is software related you could just be transfering it back again.

• Fred G

Thanks Alan
      I have checked it out, but it appears to be a generic one that leads to pages that talk about doing restores etc, nothing specific.

In part of my tidying up, and trying to fix the problem I have deleted the dump files. If this doesn't work i will post the error.

have you tried the upgrade feature
    How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html
    you will need the serial to reactivate windows

pcmover transfer from your old PC to your new computer directly you can try to move to external hard drive.
    http://stevenjs.hubpages.com/hub/PCMover

• Fred G

Thanks Hovsep, I will give that way a try first. Guess that is the difference of doing a search for refresh instead of repair :P

• Fred G

Repair isn't working. I keep getting:
      An error prevented a required compliance check from completing. Cancel the installation and try upgrading again.

I have followed many of the steps that are suggested out there to fix this error, but keeps happening.

Going to search for another hour or so then just going with the clean install option.

Thanks for your help.

well perhaps mbr is corrupted? but this should not influrnce the repair process.

if you can boot to windows 7 normally
      1) Go to run and type cmd, right click on it and choose run As administrator
      2) On the black screen type sfc /scannow
      3) right-click on the hard drive drive-properties-Tools and click check now-little dialog will pop up check both options and click on start

after this operation try to repair windows 7

• Fred G

Thanks again Hovsep, yet had tried that, no luck with the repair. I have done the clean install, and am just trying to download the drivers that didn't install.