Should I upgrade to Windows 7 or Windows 8?

Joseph Videtto December 1, 2012

I need to upgrade my wife’s machine this week, and need a new Windows operating system.

Is there any reason at all to consider Windows 7, or can I just buy Windows 8 and set the interface to look like windows 7, with all the performance enhancements of Windows 8?

1. Kulwinder Rouri

I am using Windows 7 and like it very much, i think you can use Windows 7 and customize it according to your needs. There are many apps to customize Windows Look.

Se7en. Its better for gaming (wider support), more drivers and wider product support, stable, safe, widespread ... what more do you want ..:)

No. Seven is almost the same, but more familiar, drivers everywhere, good game support. No, just no. (If you ask me)

4. luis donis

windows 7 because it is more stable for now

5. Felix Göhringer

I'd go with windows 7.

6. Achraf Almouloudi

You will upgrade to Windows 8 later so why not now, it is the next big thing, it is fast and useful, even for work. Many people who tell you to use Windows 7 if she use the computer for work just never tried Windows 8 yet to see how it makes things easy.

7. Giggity Goebbels

Also it is cheaper

8. Giggity Goebbels

Get windows 8 and classic shell.you can get benefit of fast boot

9. Sashi Peiris

Definitely Windows 8

10. Nicola De Ieso

Yes, I suggest to perform an upgrade to Windows 8 even for the lower prices

11. Usman Mubashir

if you don't plan to use the interface of windows 8, there is no reason to install it. however windows 8 is a lot better than windows 7, will take you few weeks to get to know all the shortcuts. In any case you must upgrade windows xP

12. dhanunjayarao chunduri

If you have to buy software go with Windows 8 as its cheaper now.

Hello, both operating system have their advantages. I would say if your laptop has a touchscreen it would benefit more with windows 8, if it doesn't, not that much. You can make windows 8 look a little bit like windows 7 but not all the eye candy from windows 7 is on windows 8.

What I did was to get windows 8, but I will wait a little bit until I install it. The reason I bought it now, is because it is cheap at the moment. Who knows if the price will stay low or not. I will wait up a few months and then install it when operating system is more mature and the kinks have been worked out.

14. prasad kondaveti

windows7 is the best i think.

15. Arun Vishnu

you may consider windows 8 for all of your needs.i recommend because i am already using windows 8 pro.as it is modern,desktop look and feel is the same as windows 7,upgraded features in file explorer(formely windows explorer) will help you.as my opinion,a windows 8 upgrade is worth.upgrade offer is very cheep now.so this is the right time.remember your system follows minimum requirments.(higher recommended.)
    check this site for more info
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/meet?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_Hero_Home_8Here_Null

16. Kamelion Kamel

I prefer windows 7 more than windows 8

17. Din One

thats up to you if you like the windows 8 box design...

18. Douglas Mutay

You can upgrade to W8 and if she doesn't feel comfortable with the Metro she can switch to the desktop that offer the same experience as W7. Let her go ahead with what is new ;-)

19. Qin Tang

Windows 7 if you want to change the UI of Windows 8 to Windows 7, but it's better to Windows 8.

20. Duy Nguyen Minh

You Install Windows 8 and use the windows media center code. Active win8 forever.

perhaps you get more performance with Windows 8, also the upgrade offer is interesting,
    try the upgrade assiatant and see what will tell you regarding the price
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/upgrade-offer
    http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx

changing the look can be done see Stardock
    http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/

22. Felix Göhringer

Windows 7 since it's not quite the same to get to have the startmenu replacements on Windows 8 even though they come close (especially start8).

Windows 8 is not going to look or feel like Windows 7 so dont bother considering that option, it is a whole new operating system.
    If you want to stick with the old Windows Start menu style then Windows 7 is a good choice.
    Why not pop down to your local computer shop and try out Windows 8 on one of their demo machines?
    At least you will get a feel of what Win 8 is all about.

Windows 8 absolutely. The ones who are recommending Windows 7 are simply fools. Windows 8 is just like performance optimised version of windows 7 and you can customize it as you wish with free software.

I would suggest you to upgrade to Windows 8 as later on it would cost you double or triple to upgrade to Windows 8.

I think what is missing that's bugging you is start button which can be restored using third party tools like classic shell.For more information -

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-a-start-menu-on-windows-8/

26. Rakesh Mishra

go for windows 7 it is the best

Win8, if u upgrade to win7, mybe u want to upgrade for windows 8 later, so why not now..

28. Shankar C

windows 8 has easy to use UI, (metro UI) , copying speed is excellent, quicker bootup and shutdown than windows 7. i think it is enough having win 7

• Achraf Almouloudi

You are supporting Windows 8 in the first sentence then supporting Windows 7 back, seriously.

29. Edward Deaver

if your wife uses her computer for work then I would recommend windows 7 .
    If she likes to learn new things and have fun then windows 8 .
    Also there is now way to revert back to thew look of windows 7 on 8 permanently , but you can go to a desktop look.
    It all depends on your hardware situation and opinion. I hope I made your choice easier.
    Report back on what you decide to do .
    Have a great day!

30. Ed Deaver

If your wife is using her computer for work , then keep with windows 7.
    If she likes to have fun on her computer and can learn new things then 8 .
    You can always go to the desktop view for windows 8 ,but no , you can not make it look like windows 7 ( easily).
    If you like metro then go with 8 , if you don't go with 7 . Both are great OS's and really depends on your hardware situation.
    But anyway I hope this helped.
    Report back on what you did , I would love to hear how you made out.
    Have a great day!

If you have to buy software go with Windows 8 as its cheaper now. Since memory is very cheap, I suggest increasing to a minimum of 8GB RAM and get x64 version.

32. Adam Campbell

Windows 7

• Giggity Goebbels

Why 7?