Should I upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit or Windows 8 32-bit (or 64-bit) or just stay on Windows 7 32-bit?
Question by Erlis Dhima /

Lately I was thinking of doing an upgrade to the 64-bit of Windows 7. But with the release of Windows 8, I was thinking upgrading to Windows 8 64-bit!

The only problem is that I have a X86 based processor, but the 64-bit of Windows is compatible! I say this due to some tests I did checking this article.

Looking at the official page of my notebook, the only drivers you find are for Windows 7 32-bit or older version of Windows! But, if you take a look at the list of drivers for download are:

I’m not quite sure what the MIR driver is, but I found the VGA driver on nVidia official page for windows 8 64-bit (also for 32-bit)

Now, these are the results for performance and system information:

Also, my laptop specs to recap are:
* Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9300 (2.5 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 6 MB L2 cache)
* Up to 1791 MB NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS [ 512 MB ]

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Prashant Mirjankar

With your current system specifications I’d suggest you to continue with Windows 7 32bit… Only if you are thinking of adding more RAM to your system changing to Windows 7 64bit will help. As for windows 8 it is still not the right time to upgrade to. wait till service pack 1 for windows 8 comes out, it still has some minor issues of performane.

• Yudono R.A.

just upgrade it to the win 8 32-bit (if you only use common program)

• Anish Parameshwaran

If your computer is 64-bit compatible, then I’d recommend you make an upgrade to 64-bit of whichever OS. Now the question just becomes whether you want Win 7 or 8 and that’s dependent on whether you want to stay with what you know (Windows 7) or if you want to have the most up-to-date OS with Windows 8. One thing you should know is that although Win 8 does have a new interface with the metro UI for the start menu, the Win 7 interface still exists on the OS as the Desktop. Once you’re on the Desktop, you can run the same apps that you have on your WIn 7 computer, unless of course, there is an app on the windows store for the program.

• Switchblade Rebirth

Two factors based on your specs: RAM, and Security between the two bits.

• Vhora Rizwan

You can use Laptop so i prefer Windows 8 and your processor support 64 bit so you can use Windows 8 x64.

• prasanth vikkath

Don’t upgrade your system now. Windows 8 is the first release of its kind. Some time some of the drivers and software won’t be compatible with windows 8. I have tried windows 8 in my PC. I faced a problem with my sound driver, but when i downloaded from the site it had some compatible problems.

• Safvan Vhora

I think Windows 8 Better Than Windows 7.

• Ian Bunting

Laptop/Notebooks tend to be more problematic when it comes to drivers, often requiring manufacturer specific versions.
    So I would at least stick with Windows 7 until there is proper support and drivers for that model for Windows 8.
    As stated by others the primary benefit of 64-bit is the ability for an application to address more memory, so would be mostly benefiting applications which are traditionally a memory hog, such as higher end games or video editing.
    Driver support there is still lacking pretty often.

• Pedro LeChasseur

It all depends on what you are doing with your computer. If you’re just surfing the web, watching & listening multimedia stuff, and typing text document, stick with the 32-bit version (more stable OS).
    If you are more a gamer or you are using editing software (photoshop, premiere, etc.) You should upgrade your RAM and go with the 64-bit.

• Mahesh Kumar

Best is to use Windows 7 32 bit based on the configuration mentioned. To use 64 bit you need to have atleast 8GM of RAM to take advantage of a 64 bit system. Also Windows 8 is best on Tablets and is best for touch based devices. Best is to stick with Windows 7 ( 32 Bit). Also for 64 bit you may not find drivers sometimes. Also there are many programs that won’t work in 64 bit.