Should I update from Windows 7 to Windows 8 or wait for Windows Blue?

Stephen Lestik November 29, 2012

I read a little about the next version of Windows possibly coming out as early as mid 2013. Should I get Windows 8 now while to save money on later or should I just wait for Blue?

1. Rahul Prajapati

I used it for one month and i will say its good and fast os than win 7 with exiting new features .............

form my side i will say yes upgrade it ..................

Since Windows Blue will virtually be a service pack for Windows 8 and cost very little if not a free update, then get Windows 8. You can always set it up to dual boot with Windows 7.

3. Joel Lee

If you plan on upgrading to Windows Blue when it comes out, I would go ahead and upgrade to Windows 8 in the meantime. Just as how Vista and 7 are similar (7 is the refinement of Vista), I believe Blue will be the refinement of 8. In that way, you can spend this time to learn the nuances of the interface and the differences between 7 and 8; by the time you upgrade to Blue, you'll be fluent.

Plus, I hear lots of speculation that Microsoft will be releasing Blue for little or no charge as an upgrade option to 8, so if that turns out to be true, you'll basically have a free upgrade. That is speculation, though, so be careful of that.

IMO Windows 8 is Great but i do like Windows 7 more i personally don't like the Metro Interface.

However If i were you i would of waited for Windows Blue.

5. williadatech

I've upgraded a PC and Laptop, have had no problems with it. If you use kindle app on the your desktop, you'll love it win 8.

So I would say...Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!

An honest answer has got to be nobody has tried Windows Blue so nobody can really comment on that.
    There are many different reports up and down the net that range from the Blue version being a free service pack for Windows 8 users with options for other version users being able to upgrade for a fee to everybody being able to upgrade for a fee to free for everybody.
    You have to read the reports and make a decision based on what you want to believe.

• Douglas Mutay

You're right Alan. And I don't personally think Blue will be that different than W8. So the best will be to go for W8 now and wait for the next one to come...if it does...

Windows 7 still works fine. I still use and recommend it.

Stick with your win7. You can find win8 when you buy new machine.

9. Usman Mubashir

I don't think next version will come that soon, particularly because its in construction stage (one of my friends is working there) and to think it took Win 8 a year to go from developer preview to full version and that there is still no news of any version of upcoming Windows, its pretty safe to say that we'll have pretty much time to see Win8 before next version comes. I've been using Win8 for over a month now and its working great for me. I'm not thinking of going back to 7 any time soon.

10. Brawdon

If microsoft released a new os next year, then it would only be a beta/developer release. And it would emphasize the modern UI even more than win8, perhaps even removing the desktop all together, like windows RT. wether you like it or not, the desktop is going away. It will be completely gone by 2020, because all computers will be touch based by then.
    People come into my work all the time saying they dont like the new modern UI, and then after just ten minutes with me they love it! everything is still there, its just moved around. All the old short cuts still work. They are just scared of something new, I just point out how everything they could do before still works, and works even better! I think the real Irony is that if Windows had started with the modern UI 20 years ago and switched to the desktop UI today it would have died because the desktop is significantly more complicated than the modern UI.
    Every tech I have met that didnt like it came down to simply not liking change. Also on the note that someone mentioned it boots slower, Win8 boots super fast!!! for many reasons, but the biggest one is no bios, it goes from off to log-in without stopping for older outdated OS's to load.
    Now if you are using Win7, stick with it, unless you want access to the win8 app store, which is exploding! over 10,000 apps in the first month! most are free!
    if your running xp or vista, then upgrade asap! win8 uses 1/4 less processing power and 1/3 less ram than win7, so you will see a huge improvment over xp and vista! I have already upgraded dozens of older pcs to win8 and all have been given new life as a result, plus for the price of $40 digital upgrade and $70 for the discs, you cant lose!

11. Lee Young

My suggest would be to way oh 3-4-5 years and then grab whatever is the new Win OS along with a new machine.

I say that because in the long view of things you'd most likely save bookoo bucks in the long run. Too many of these new versions of Windows force you to plunk down cash for a new machine because the new OS won't run on the machine you have. Wouldn't you rather buy a new machine once ever 3-4-5 years. And it isn't just the OS-Puter match that's the upgrade problem either; its all those program you either got for free or pay bucks for that won't work on the new OS. And then there's the question and worry will externals such as printers, etc., work on the new OS; or will that mean even more outlay of $$$?

As for Win OS 8, this is from my perspective. Why buy it if you don't have a touch-screen monitor. And then there is that learning curve, ugh! puke! The hunt for everything is just agonizing. And this Metro style is just PLAIN UGLY. Touch-screen is perfect for the portable devices but not so much for a desktop.

Oh, and if want Microsoft's Media Player in OS 8, guess what! It's not included and you'll have to pay more $$ for it.

Like others have said, if you decide to jump to OS 8 then before you do take the time and effort to trip to a store where OS 8 machines can be used and used on the Internet. Explore every nook and cranny of the OS. Don't rush to judgment.

12. Ray Navarrette

Get a Mac , seems like Windows is just trying to catch up to Mac , so just get one.

13. Vince

For your own sanity wait. While 8 is very stable it is better suited to a tablet. As an OS for a pc (laptop or desktop) 8 really sucks. I tried to find a kinder word to describe Windows 8, but "sucks" was the kindest word I could find. I am really disappointed and am considering loading Linux to replace this OS.

14. Nikhil Chandak

If u love windows 7 then u shall keep Windows 7 only . To find out a bit how Windows 8 is , u must try out Metro 7 http://www.metro7app.com/ , it gives u a look of windows 8 or try out omnio -http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/get-windows-8-start-screen-on-windows-7-with-omnimo-rainmeter-skin/
    I think Windows 8 is very good , it has a new task manager , its secured , Internet Explorer 10 , SmartScreen Filter , new file copy dialog -allows you to pause file-copying operations, view multiple file-copying operations in the same window, more easily manage file conflicts , File Explorer Improvements , Storage Spaces , etc
    check out the guide to Windows 8 http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/the-complete-guide-to-windows-8-startup-menu/
    check this link also http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/top-20-windows-8-tweaks-hacks-tips/
    if u want to know more about it , read this book http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009VZFN4I/?tag=htgpost-20

15. Muo TechGuy

I heard Windows Purple was going to be far superior anyway - Blue is just so yesterday.

16. Eath Chantrea

dual-boot or virtual in virtualbox and then decide on your own.

17. Don Blevens

Try Dual-Booting them and then decide. I'm a Network Tech that swore I would never use Win8. I bought the upgrade so I could get it at a cheaper price but never intended on actually using it. One day I decided to set it up in a dual-boot so I could 'talk tech' with the other people in my field. I started playing with it, then started using it more and more and really got to like it. I no longer dual-boot, I only run Win8 now. I get Win7 AND Modern UI (Metro) all on the same PC, what could be better. And... many of the Modern UI apps are better than their Win7 counterparts. Try it and decide for yourself.

18. Aniket Singh

upgrade it...win 8 is cool

19. Amit Sinha

If you are a tech geek then you must try win 8

20. Vinicius Cardoso

Why wait? upgrade to Windows 8 and at once understand everything, like it or not. if it's good for you than no need in Windows Blue

21. Jesse Manalansan

Try out Windows 8, you might love it ;)

you will need a genuine copy of Windows to upgrade to Windows Blue. Built-in apps and the Windows Store will cease functioning if a copy is upgraded that is pirated. Sources tell us that Microsoft will likely keep the Windows 8 name for the foreseeable future, despite the Windows Blue update. A big part of Windows Blue is the push towards yearly updates for Microsoft’s OS. Microsoft will kick off an annual upgrade cycle for Windows that is designed to make it more competitive against rival platforms from Apple and Google.

23. Lisa Santika Onggrid

The question is, do you need the new Windows or not? If Windows 7 is still capable to perform your task then you shouldn't be that concerned to upgrade. I say just keep it as is for now and decide for an upgrade when you need to. Blue is still too farfetched for now as Ms still tries to sell 8.

24. Abba Jee

If you like experiments doing on your computer with various OS , software you should give it a try

25. Sri Vamsy Gurram

No matter whether we like it or not...Microsoft will stick to Metro...err Modern UI and likely provide Apple Mac type cheaper updates from now on.

Also, when they are Pushing Win 8 for cheap..i guess its time to upgrade now

Windows Blue is more in Microsoft's strategy in similar line with it's competitor Apple and Google to release a major upgrade once at-least every year. There are rumors that probably these upgrade maybe free of cost too. However, I am not sure if they will provide the upgrade taking Windows 7 as the base version or will Windows 8 be the base version, but I feel probably Windows 8 will be the base version.

27. Terafall

If I were you,I will wait for Windows Blue or at least more details about Windows Blue because who knows,it might be better than 8

• Rahul Prajapati

I Agree with you Terafall

Right now, I would say look at your situation. I recently helped a relative purchase a new notebook, and the one they wanted only came with Win8, even though they wanted Win7. It was very disappointing to have to teach the Metro interface, which to them seemed counter-intuitive. We ended up having to download and install the Startmenu8 app to bypass Metro and boot directly to the desktop /w Start Button.

Myself, I probably wouldn't upgrade for my own sanity. I finally got rid of my last XP system (out of 3) so I'm consistent with Win7 and I wouldn't want to go back to playing the switching game again.

29. Qin Tang

It depends on you, Windows 8 has a great UI, you will love it, but it will spend you sometime to get used to it Meto style. You may wait for some time. Windows 7 is also great!

30. maria

i like windows 8. but someone said that it boots slowly.

• David Butterworth

In my experience the opposite is true. And apparently it even speeds up boots on old hardware

• Rahul Prajapati

David you r right it takes less than 15 sec to boot and too shutdown it takes only 4 to 5 sec ..........

31. Adam Campbell

I personally am waiting to update from Win7 until Microsoft fixes the initial glitches with Win8. If it takes too long then I will save my money until Windows blue comes out...

32. Paul Girardin

If you are happy with Windows 7 now, I would wait and upgrade the computer (if possible) instead.

Assuming you have a desktop, you could get more memory, better GPU (Graphics Processing Unit AKA graphics card), better sound equipment (new card, speakers, soundbar, ETC ...).

If you have a laptop, more memory!

Windows 8 is a complete departure from 7 so be sure to get a look and try in stores before committing to it.

• Paul Girardin

In my everyday life, I use Windows 7 (laptop), Windows 8 (new tower) and Linux Mint (old tower).

Each is unique!