Should I switch to Windows 8 if I can get it for free?

Nedim Baši? December 12, 2012

I have Win 7 professional that I got free over MSDNAA, and now I can get Win 8 professional for free, but should I? I really like Win 7 and i’m not into tablets and visual effects. I want my system just to be reliable, fast,and useful (and play games so don’t suggest any Linux releases). So i’m asking you for opinion. If you have Win 8 tell me do u like it and why?

1. Igor Rizvi?

I woudnt reccomend it for you,even if its free..cuz its czutting you back alot on your productivity side....

2. Parth Nagvadia

yes u can it will just replace ur os, u files and application remains same as it was..

3. Saurabh Kumar

It depends totally on you......... I have been using windows 7 from a long time and i like it too....... but if i would get win 8 i would surely go for it..

4. Alex Slutsky

I would wait for win8 to be on the market for a while, until service pack 1 will be released and then try it, as it will be more reliable and stable.

5. Julian Altshul

If Win 7 works for you, why upgrade? It's a good OS and still supported by Microsoft so no need to rush.

6. Adriel Tan

Everyone has a different opinion. I love it, took no time adjusting to it. Try installing it on another machine, set it up on a different partition, or play with it in a virtual machine to see if you like it. Windows 8 is fast, reliable and quite usable in Desktop mode (just get used to typing when in the start screen to search and the tiles layout should not annoy you that much)

7. Rohit Jhawer

I Think you should try windows 8. apart from metro start screen its similar, But performance wise win 8 is much more faster than win 7. If you don't like the new win 8 style, there are many apps available which will give you the win 7 look back.
    Win 8 is worth a upgrade and if its for free then you got to give it a try. There is always an option to rollback if you dont want to stick with it.

8. Jose Paolo Gonzales Otico

The switch to Windows 8 is entirely up to you. Some people still prefer Windows 7, and others will prefer Windows 8. I believe there is a trial online for a few days that you can toss onto a Virtual Machine and test it out yourself.

That being said, if you can get used to Windows 8, it's a fairly good upgrade.

9. Vishal Srivastava

Here is what I'd have done if I were you-
    Check if your PC/Laptop is Windows 8 compatible or not. If it runs Windows 7, most probably, it should be.
    Can you get a copy of Windows 8 while keeping Windows 7 or is it a swap deal? If its a swap deal (get Windows 8 instead of Windows 7), you're out of luck.
    If however, you can get both OS, here is a guide that will tell you how to dual boot Windows 8 with Windows 7- http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/dual-boot-windows-8-and-windows-7/

10. Austen Gause

if you want to i would recommend dual booting both OS on your pc

I would keep se7en. You play games, want stable (8 is also), but u dont like tablets (me neither). I would definately keep se7en. I also have msdnaa access to 8, still havent downloaded it. Anyway, you can try 8, and if you dont like it, (probably you wont), return to 7. Play a little. ;)

12. Adinamo Alex

if it.s free give it a try...but i.m sure you.ll use back 7

13. Abba Jee

Give it a try, If you like it then keep it, if not you can switch back to windows 7 later, It's your choice, in my opinion you should try, specially when it's free for you :)

14. Austin Halsell

Kind of sounds like you don't really want to. Windows 8 is pretty "busy" with its constantly refreshing social media, news, weather, etc. tiles with the Modern UI, and the desktop is confusing and very limited without bringing in 3rd party software.

I'd say, if you're happy and comfortable with 7 stick with it. But if you're even curious at all about 8 and don't mind learning how to navigate a very changed up UI, why not go for it.

Plus, as others have said, there's always dual booting and then making up your mind.

Of course, rather than clicking on 'Upgrade' save it to Windows then burn the ISO to disk. That way if you change your mind about Windows 7 you will already have it so it is only a matter of upgrading.
    Dont forget to store the key in a safe place!

16. Joseph Darwin Co

it depends on your computer if it can be upgraded to Windows 8

Hello, if from what you are saying you are not interested in the new features included with windows 8, then my advice is to stick with windows 7.

Having said that, if you can get it for free, why not? Is there a time limit to install windows 8 when you get it through MSDNNA? If there is, that would be the only disadvantage.

Also, you could try using both, windows 7 and 8 in a dual boot. If you do it this way, you can use both and experience first hand as to whether you would want windows 8.

18. Nilesh Rathi

Windows8 is really worth the upgrade. Even though Microsoft is not advertising it much but the desktop side of the OS is much faster and lightweight compared to Windows 7. It boots super fast even on my 2 yr old laptop. Also the Modern UI would feel nice once you get used to it.

19. Rohit Pandey

yes......but u require some time to handle it.so switch to windows 8 only if u can manage ur time.

20. Beh Han

Yes only if you have a touch screen!

21. Ahamed Yaseen

Windows 8 improves only faster boot up and metro ui.. Even though win8 has a metro ui , mostly we use the desktop mode... . So,I think you can stay with windows 7. Its more reliable...

22. Nikhil Chandak

I think us shall try out Windows 8 , if u did not liked the version u can get back to Windows 7
    But Windows 8 is more secured and faster than Windows 7 !

23. Alex

It depends, If you have a touchscreen device then you could give it a try after backing up your windows 7 drive. If not, then I would suggest no as it was really meant for touchscreen devices and many of the features would be annoying to use with a mouse.

24. Aniket Singh

win 8 is faster as compare to win 7.....i would suggest u to upgrade win 7 to win 8...if ur getting for free

It's good that you are getting it for free.

Windows 8 consumes lesser memory than Windows 7.

http://www.howtogeek.com/128123/10-awesome-improvements-for-desktop-users-in-windows-8/

26. João Laranjeira

Hello, i have W8 and i think that W7 is better if you don`t have any tablet. Cheers.

27. Shankar C

both have the same core. windows 8 metro UI is a lot easier to use than windous 7.
    moreover its bootup time is very less

28. Jeremy Stewart

It will depend on what you want, Windows 8 is still fairly new and some of the programs and games for Windows 7 don't work, luckily they have the compatibly mode so you can bypass it. But one flaw they have is the start menu, unlike the Windows 7 start menu everything is shown, there is no folders to separate them from one another, I hope they will think about it and fix that issue.

29. Arun Vishnu

dont worry,you can upgrade to windows 8.becausei am using windows 8 in my king desktop,its pretty and all your stuff may be compatible(mine is all right!)

30. Eath Chantrea

yes you should if it is free and smartmenu8 of iobit product.

I got Win 8 very cheap, installed it, customiized every bit I could, then went back to Se7en!
    In my opinion stick with Windows 7.

• Douglas Mutay

yes! I had the Consumer Preview but had to remove it and didn't even wanted to get the full version. Now I am using W7 and 8 doesn't miss me at all!

32. Ahmed Musani

yes you should definitely try.
    it you want to save time dual boot so if at any point you ddont like it you can always revert.

33. Ramón García

If your computer supports it and your software is supported in 8, yes!!!

34. Tebawiha Lelhchhun

If I were you I would not SWITCH WIN7 TO 8 because WIN 8 does not support most of the drivers which WIN 7 support.If you use WIN 8 you will have to download the newest version of drivers.

35. Brenden Barlow

even if you have to pay a little bit (15 bucks), i would most certainly recommend it, if youre iffy about upgrading. if you get enough positive responses, i would recommend paying as much as you can for it (i really love having it on my desktop and my laptop - neither are touch compatible.)

36. luis donis

for now it's best to wait a bit but is quite stable windows 8 consumes less resources than Windows 7

37. pp potana

Once try to give it a try in either your friends computer or virtual box. If you like the interface and have no problem with the new look then switch to windows 8. It has faster boot and better performance.

i had the same question as you. I installed it and am happy with it. deleted avg coz win8 has windows defender. My boot up time and shut down time has increased a lot. its faster and stable. i do miss aero and a few other features like start menu but for the speed of the system, it was worth it. Hope i helped.

PS i have a acer laptop with celeron processor bought in 2007 and windows 8 is running faster than windows 7 on it.

39. Naval Gupta

I would go with Jim''s suggestion. Install on dual boot only at present. The look and feel is good, but lacks stability and not many compatible apps at present.

Don't forget to share your own experience.

40. josemon maliakal

the core of windows 8 is similar to windows 7 , and the little difference is the new metro UI and some performance factors, new UI will little confusing first ..but it is good

Install it on a dual-boot setup and make up your own mind.

42. maria

windows 8, of course.

43. Anandu B Ajith

pirated version

44. musicphann

Windows 8 will be a great upgrade. Additionally, you can disable a lot of those useless visual effects. If you have no interest in the Metro interface, I'd recommend using a program like Start 8 by Stardock: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
    It gets ride of the Metro interface unless you want to access it and allows you to work on the standard Windows Desktop that you know and love from Windows 7.

45. Hunbuhbhuygb Ygygbgybygb

You should use the free windows server 2012 instead if you have it free.it dont have animations which is a plus and logon straight to desktop.it is also compatible with windows 8.

46. Hunbuhbhuygb Ygygbgybygb

Windows 8 is definitely more reliable ,faster.you can use a tool called classic shell to actually get back the start menu and make the experience pretty much like windows 7.i definitely recommend it.

• Alan Wade

Why would you want to install Windows 8 just so you could use a tool to make it more like Windows 7. Not logical in my opinion!

• Douglas Mutay

Agree with you Alan. If he is fine with Windows 7 there is not need to get the upgrade. But if it's a free copy and he want to get advantage of that he can upgrade and fully use Windows 8. Otherwise there is no, in my opinion, a reason to upgrade because he said he is not really interested by all the visual appearance of W8.

• Amit Sinha

If its free then then there should be an reason to upgrade but not logically. Up-gradation is the driving forces for the digital products like today we are not remembering windows 98 and XP

47. Delano Jennings

I would. But it depends on computer too. I have a lenovo ultrabook and the upgrade will make certain options obsolete on my computer. So I'm hesitant of upgrading