Should I get the Galaxy Note 8.0 or the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0?

Ellen Odza April 20, 2013

My husband is buying me a shiny new tablet for my birthday (yay!) and I’m torn between the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and the brand new Galaxy Note 8.0. I tried them out at Best Buy and they both seem quite nice.

I definitely want a smaller size tablet as I’m used to a Nook and will be using the new tablet for reading ebooks – and also the smaller tablets fit nicely in my bag (so I will never be without a book… okay, e-book!) I do not want the iPad mini. I’ve been reading reviews online but cannot really decide which would be better for me! Any advice would be VERY much appreciated!

1. Ellen O

I ended up with the Galaxy Note 8 and like it a lot. I'm still trying to figure some things out - the S-Note and S-Pen in particular. But I do like the slightly larger screen size and I'm having a blast with my new tablet!

As it's an 8-inch, there are fewer accessories available, particularly cases. Mostly you find stuff either for a 7 or 10-inch. Best Buy only has two cases for it - both are $50 each - totally a ripoff. I found a much cheaper (and nicer!) case on Amazon!

2. David R

I'm grappling with the same issue - are you happy with what you chose?

3. Harshit J

If you can wait, then wait for next gen nexus 7 tablet. If you cannot, than get note 8. Atleast it will get more updates than the tab 2 7.0 . Personally, I would buy a kindle or nook e-ink reader for book reading and nexus 7 as tablet.

• Ellen Odza

I did think of that, actually, but it seems a bit silly to carry two separate devices around with me.

• Harshit J

But you mentioned specifically in your question that you just want to read books.

• Ellen Odza

Sorry! I guess I wasn't clear (yikes! My first senior moment!) The Nook is of course an e-reader and I will use the tablet for that function, but will also use it for other stuff (why get a tablet and not try to use it's full potential, right? I'm being bold and daring!) :-)

4. babu vhora

i am using samsung galaxy tab 2 and it's wery well to use.........

If you compare two tablets,you'll see that there's practically no difference for your use a you are into reading and not into gaming or heavy graphics work.

These two tablets also don't have much difference in screen ppi.Galaxy Note 8.0 is of 8 inch and you don't like iPad mini which is 7.8 inch.So,you must go for -

Samsung Galaxy tab 2 310

because it's a perfect 7 inched so will fit in your bag and has latest upgrade to Jellybean and much more,it costs less than Galaxy Note 8.0.