Should I buy the Samsung UN40ES6100 40-Inch “Smart TV” now, or wait a few months?

Joseph Videtto April 14, 2013

I’ve been waiting to pull the trigger on a new 40-Inch smart TV, and my research suggests the Samsung UN40ES6100 is one with the best features and bang for the buck. I have read that the browsing experience is a little slow, due to the minimal processing power.

I am willing to wait up to 6 months, no more – anyone know if a ‘better’ or ‘faster’ model is just on the horizon, and if for native internet access, the slow processor speed is a problem? Incidentally, the bigger screen Samsungs have better processors, but not this size scree.

1. Samsunghater

I purchased a Samsung Smart TV about 1 year ago. I have been having intermittent issues with being able to connect to netflix (which is all I use the smart for) We have not been able to use netflix for a couple of weeks now as we kept getting error that say Network problem contact your Internet provider Code: (Error_Model_Bind). I got off work early today and tried to figure out what our Network error was for an Hour and a half then I googled the error code and found out that this is SAMSUNG NETWORK ISSUE. Apparently their system requires their network to be working and when it is not it gives this error code. I called Samsung Canada myself today and they confirmed what I read online that they are having network issues. I was told that the tech staff is not advised of when and how long the network would be down and then when I mentioned I wanted my money back as this was happening all the time the Samsung tech said I had "Nothing to complain about as the TV was still working" .
    I advised him that I paid extra money for this "Smart Service" but he insisted there is nothing wrong with the tv therefore I cant have my money back.

Usually,you will use internet in TV to browse videos rather that textual sites.So,a good processor is required or think of Google TV using ARM processor where all processing load is handled via cloud.So,a good processor is required to encode and decode those good quality videos and to refresh screen every time specified by the frequency of your TV.

Samsung has launched evolutionary kit which is a box used to be connect at the back and comes with a remote($100). It costs nearly $299.So,if you want to buy now,then look for this kind of TV.

3. Rob H

Can't disagree with what's already been said but some general "buying stuff" thoughts:

"Integrated everything" sounds great but take the Swiss Army Knife as an example. You can get a model with 87 blades. Costs over USD2000, weighs nearly a kilo http://www.wengerna.com/giant-knife-16999
    That raises all the relevant issues:
    You're paying a big premium
    It's impractical, not going to have one of those on my keyring or in my jeans pocket! And I wonder how the compass works with all that steel around?
    If one blade were to break its an expensive fix or do you buy a replacement knife
    When someone comes up with the next "must have" feature you find you've gone from "best" to "yes but it hasn't got ... "

The decision process has to include an assessment of features and how much they are worth to you.
    Taking a slightly more relevant example suppose you need a lightweight portable PC. The lightest, most portable come with smaller screen sizes, an external mains adapter, no integrated DVD drive. That may be absolutely fine, you only need the few hours battery life it provides, don't need DVD often. But if you're likely to need DVD and external power when away from base then the choice changes. In that case go for integration otherwise you end up with a briefcase full of cables and components. After a big IT conference there's usually a collection of laptop PC bits and pieces left behind by delegates - power adapters, cables, mice etc.

In your case you need to make a hard-headed set of decisions like "Do I NEED Smart TV features" then "Does the benefit justify the price premium" and "Are there other ways of getting the features I need" (e.g. external adapters), if so are those any good? The advantage of external adapters is that if they fail it's only that adapter you need to repair/replace. If the TV fails you've still got a useful adapter. If you decide next year that a 40 inch screen is too small, time to upgrade to 50 inch then replacement cost is less and you can use the adapter on the new set. A disadvantage of external adapters can be compatibility and configuration issues. With a TV you might end up with several different remote controls (so you buy one of those "universal" remotes that can be a pain to set up and never seem to quite live up to their promise)

As regards the TV itself the most important factors are
    a good range of interfaces so you can plug other devices in
    that it delivers the basic function well - i.e. a good screen image.
    some less easy to quantify factors like reliability, guarantee
    some basic practical things like physical dimensions (and whether your wife likes the look of it!)
    Even poor sound quality may be fixed by using external speakers.

As has already been said, with technology the one certainty is that if you wait there will be cheaper alternatives and/or additional features for the same cost. All you can do about that is delay purchase until the point that you can wait no longer - maybe when your old set fails irredemably.

4. Sheldon

If you can "cut the cable", by purchasing a smart tv, then by all means do so. That puts you in total control of what you watch and more importantly, what you pay for. I would really dig into the specs though... I don't think it can get much worse than getting half way into a streamed movie only to come upon the dreaded word... "buffering". Also, Justin touched on an interesting thought... a set-top box. I don't know if all Blu-ray players are smart but I do know that some are... and that would be a lot cheaper than a smart tv.

5. justinpot

Don't buy a smart TV: buy a TV, then get some sort of set-top-box for it. TVs last way longer than any kind of gadget, so you shouldn't buy a TV with a gadget built in.

6. dragonmouth

If you wait for the next "bigger" and/or "better', you will never buy it because invariably every time that you are about to pull the trigger, a "bigger and better" model is announced. This is especially true in electronics where new features/capabilities are added to equipment seemingly on a daily basis.

As Dave says, make the decision, spend the money and enjoy whatever you get without regrets.

7. DalSan M

If you want my honest opinion, Smart TV's offer some functionality, but not worth the extra price. I would rather use an Android pc-on-stick since it would offer much more at a relatively cheap price. A 1GHz, 1GB RAM, 4GB Storage Android stick device with HDMI out, USB ports, and Micro SD can be found for around $80-150 and let's you do almost anything an android tablet can do. More information can be found here about streaming media to the stick device: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/got-a-pc-on-a-stick-you-can-turn-it-into-a-roku-like-media-streaming-device-for-free/. The browsing experience is much better, and should better devices come out in the future, you can always upgrade. The only upgrade with smart tv's is buying a new tv. Just my thought.

8. Dave Parrack

As with all hardware purchases you know the model you buy will be superseded soon. Whether you should wait or not depends on how much you need (rather than want) a new TV. If you do pull the trigger on this model then don't worry about future versions... just enjoy the one you have for the next few years at least.