Should I buy an Android phone and hook it up to my monitor, or buy a Chromebook?

Alfred Walsh May 7, 2013

I’m comparing an Android phone to a Chromebook. If I bought  the Android, I would hook it to my TV and use a Bluetooth keyboard. Would Android be better, or the Chromebook?

1. yudics

my suggestion is choose the android phone. its better cause its smartphone, you can doing everything with your android phone but chromebook is not. and certainly android phone is more sophisticated with the technology inside it..

2. Harshit J

Get a chrome book. It suits better to your requirements as you will be able to browse the web in all its glory.

It seems to me after reading to your question that you want a small investment and make big use of it as you would want to use it like a laptop or computing device.

It would be very difficult in case when you'll receive a phone call on your Android phone and would have to switch back to directly to work(distraction sort of).

It would be practical to get a Chromebook rather than an Android phone.

4. Kannon Yamada

Hello Alfred! I actually wrote an article on this subject. Basically, it is possible to use your phone as a laptop, although you will lose out in terms of portability. Currently, I am using my phone as a stand-alone laptop and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. However, I don't think I could lose my desktop. There's just too many unique apps on Windows that can't be replaced elsewhere.

I know a couple people who actually have picked up Chromebooks and after installing Chrubuntu, they walked away with complete laptops for $200. If a printer is compatible with Linux, it should also be compatible with ChromeOS.

I think ChromeOS by itself does a fine job at giving you web access. 90% of users only need a web browser with a printer attached anyway. Except, ChromeBooks don't support directly printing from printers. For the most part.

On the other hand, some printers are compatible with Android, while only a very few number of printers are compatible with ChromeOS.

Oh and there's also stick-PCs, which use Android or Linux. You can actually use one as portable media center or a productivity station with the right apps.

What is that you want to do? If it is a cloud integrated OS that you are looking for, which will run all apps out of the could, maybe you can even look into installing JoliCloud OS in your existing PC or laptop system. The OS is very polished and mature and certainly worth a look vis-a-vis the Chrome OS. Beside it is totally free, so worth giving it a shot. The website is http://www.jolicloud.com/jolios

6. DalSan M

It would really depend on what you would be using it for. If it is for games and tv content, an android phone or tablet may be better since there are more things you could accomplish without using the internet. Most of the content and usage on a ChromeBook requires the internet to access them, though some things can be downloaded and used offline. For a cheaper alternative, though, you could get an android stick device. These devices run between $50-200 and offer HDMI output, USB connectivity, Bluetooth technology, micro SD slot, 1GHz or better processor, 1GB of RAM, and 4GB storage all in a device around the size of a USB thumb drive. The Cotton Candy pc-on-a-stick is a good product, released late last year. http://blog.laptopmag.com/cotton-candy-tested-fastest-pc-on-a-stick-can-take-over-any-screen. There are plenty of other stick devices such as the MK-802, which is larger but has lower specifications and smaller price tag. I prefer Android because of the many apps that can be downloaded and used, which the Chromebook's offerings are much slimmer.

some android phones comes with HDMI cable to use when connecting phone to TV
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-connect-an-android-phone-to-an-hdmi-monitor.html

for storage point of view chromebook is bigger so you can get more files on it and display on the monitor.
    http://chromebookratings.com/2011/information/external-monitor-chromebook/

8. Dave Parrack

It depends what you want to do with it. An Android phone hooked up to a TV would be fine for simple browsing but anything more than that and I'd opt for the Chromebook. It also depends how portable you want the device to be. The Chromebook is lightweight and small enough to be used lying in bed, full keyboard and all.

I bought a Chromebook and I don't regret my decision, but it really does depend on what you plan to use it for.