Should I buy a single-core or dual-core phone?

Vigneshwaran Sivagnanam April 1, 2013

I am planning to buy a new phone with the aim that it will last me about three years, without being too outdated. I am confused whether to buy a single-core or dual-core phone or dual core phone, I┬ácan’t afford a quad-core phone.

Please help me decide whether a dual-core phone is worth it, and what else to look out for. I might want the best phone from Sony or HTC.

1. Honeyeleven H

Friend,the dual-core phone is more great,the speed of it is very fast,i suggest you to buy a dual-core phone, and the quad-core phone is better then the other two,and you could order cheap price quad-core phone,i could suggest you one the cheap quad-core cell phone,hope this could help you ,good luck

2. DalSan M

I tend to agree that dual-core is better at lasting more than 2 years, especially when more apps are going to support multiple cores. A single core with a faster rated speed will be faster than a dual core at a slower speed, but when multi-tasking such as listening to music and browsing the web, the performance will be laggy on a single core. A big factor to consider is the amount of memory (RAM) that the phone has. Less than 512MB would be frustratingly laggy for many apps including the web browser. Go with what you can comfortably afford, because great performance will do you no good if you don't have any money left for anything else.

3. Jeff Hamilton

If this investment is meant to last three years, invest well. Balance between the number of cores and the amount of RAM.
    My experience has shown that a single core with adequate RAM is much more satisfying and battery friendly than a dual core phone.
    That said, you are going to use this for three years, so the investment in a dual core with a couple gigs of ram and a sufficiently sized battery may stretch the budget, but you will have a happy three years.

4. Harshit J

Don't even think of getting a single core android phone. The lag will frustrate you very much. The dual cores will perform somewhat decently on android. But if you use a Windows Phone device, dual cores will give you a very fluid and smooth experience and performance.

check the frequency if they are identical then go for dual core

I agree with Alan, If you can afford it, go for dual core. Android (which I assume is the system you are after) is a multi-threaded system and single core phones can sometimes slow down or even hang for a couple of minutes if one thread "hogs the system". This does not happen on multi-core phones.

7. Vigneshwaran Sivagnanam

It was really helpful reading your answers. but i still have one doubt that , if i buy single core phone now then will it become old or outdated in 2014?

you will be still able to use your single core phone but depending on the OS and software development like games they can require dual core processor for performance.

Even a quad core phone becomes outdated within less than 3 months.Just look at HTC butterfly.It arrived at India and within few time,got outdated by HTC One with significantly better performance.

So,if your budget doesn't allows you to buy top notch phone but you don't want your phone to get outdated,then buy a better mid range dual core Sony device like Sony Xperia SP at Rs.25990which might get 4.2 or next version next year.

If your budget will allow, go for a dual core phone. The rate that technology is moving along, a single core phone will be a dinosaur in three years time.

9. ferdinan S

You can buy a dual core if you have the budget, speaking from technology, dual core must be more advance then single core

Will totally depend on your need. If you use it for simple calls and SMS, a single core is more than enough, however if you are a power user of apps and games, would suggest a dual core. Dual core options have also become comparitively cheaper. Checkout Nokia Lumia 520 (to be launched within a few days now in India) and the Micromax Canvas 3 HD A116. Decent specs at decent price.

11. null

I personally suggest you to buy a dual core phone you can check this
    http://www.nxttech.org/top-10-android-phones-2013-best-android-phones-2013/

12. khendar

If budget is a factor you'll probably be fine with a single core CPU. Dual-cores do have some performance advantage in gaming, provided you are running a version of Android which supports it properly (ie Honeycomb and upwards), however it generally comes at a cost of poorer battery life. For general usage a single core should be sufficient.

A more important factor is RAM. A single core phone with more RAM than a dual-core phone will generally outperform it, or at least be comparable.

If you plan on playing graphically intense games, then go with the dual-core. If your primary use is general (playing music, browsing, email etc) then a single core should suffice. But make sure you have plenty of RAM either way.