How can I shorten URLs in the browser address bar?

Ron Hart March 20, 2011

Is there some way I can tweak my browser so that long addresses are automatically shortened?

1. Danyah Al Mailam

I use Chrome, and the bit.ly extension works great!
    Here's an example, you're watching a cool youtube video that you want to share, to grab the shortened link, just click on the bit.ly icon, and you get the short url copied to your clipboard.

Ron,

what browser are you using?

Also, I assumed that you mean URL shorteners like bit.ly or goo.gl.

There are browser addons and bookmarklets that can shorten URLs, e.g. goo.gl lite for Firefox and the goo.gl Bookmarklet.

• Ron Hart

I am using firefox.
      It is the automatic feature I'm hoping to get so that I wouldn't have to do anything but go to a page and the shortened url would automatically appear without any further intervention by me. (I know, how lazy can you get!)

• fruitgeek

I doubt that any service does that, because then they would need to keep records of millions of websites that people don't even need short URLs for. Sorry.

fruitgeek is right

Imagine what load it would produce on the server – on every single click the server would have to lookup the current URL in the database, create a shortened URL if it's missing and return it to the user. Besides of the storage for such a database you'd probably need a Supercomputer and direct access to the internet backbone to handle this for a public user base.

The laziest it can get is a one-click add-on or plugin which creates a shortened URL for your current address and automatically copy it to the clipboard.