Why does the Shockwave Flash plugin crash all the time in Google Chrome?
Question by Pebbles /

I keep getting a popup on top of my webpage which is on Google Chrome broswer saying: “The following plu-in has crashed: Shockwave Flash.” Yet All my Adobe player browser etc. has been updated and Shockwave Flash has been installed recently.

• Mazen

Hi guys watch my video to solve this problem
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc0uQsHMyCU

• Blang44

Thats the funniest shit ive seen in a long time.. Clickon the video and…

“You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video. Download it from Adobe.” Cheers to you mazen

• Slpgdragon

For what Jason suggests to do concerning renaming a bluetooth .dll file is not going to solve the issue with someone who is having the same issue that does not have bluetooth on their system. Nor uninstalling or reinstalling the latest version of Adobe Flash will fix the issue. BUT!! what I have found is the way the OS loads the two different versions of Flash at the start up…by default the active x version gets loaded for IE first..as this is what normally is used by the system default even when working off line…it will NOT load both versions at the same time. Even if you set Chrome as your default browser, this will not make any difference.
    Also many applications and websites are built upon the active x version of flash…and not the Chrome version, of which are not compatible with one another. It has been an effort to get application and web developer’s to take note of this issue and create the framework to be compatible with both or multiple Browsers which is a lot of work on their part because the coding is different, what one may support, another may not. And we find that many websites can have a number of embedded script forms eg Java script, Adobe Script, C++ , etc. all in one page. Some will work in IE, some will not, some will work in FF, some will not, and some will work in chrome, and some will not…etc. These developer’s do not take the time often enough to pre-test their coding. and often use window frames in which to embed the script or application. And certain websites like Facebook which plays host to application developer’s, have rules about what script can be used…Flash for IE when loading an application in Chrome will cause it to crash, simple as that …it is like putting diesel fuel in a lawn mower and trying to get it to run, it just will not work.

• Kris

So how do you resolve the problem??

• Missthing

Any suggestions to what we should be doing to at least cout down some of these crashes? Thanks

• rebecca Olesen

thanks for making my head hurt, I don’t really give a damn, how do I FIX IT. I don’t use IE at all.

• Anomaly

Chrome has it’s own version of Flash that comes with it when you install Chrome. You need to figure out if it’s this version or the regular Flash you have installed system wide that is causing the crash.

Go to about:plugins in Chrome. You will see the the Flash plugin has two versions. Disable one and then see how Chrome works for you. If is still crashes rein-able the one you disabled and then disable the other one and see what happens.

@FIDELIS Chrome does not use the Active X version of Flash. That version if for Internet Explorer only. There is another version of Flash for non IE browsers.

• rebecca Olesen

MAN, thank you – that is all I really needed to know. I have always wondered why I had 2 adobe flash programs in my program list, and the only difference is that one was ACTIVEX – everything else the description was identical. And it’s not like you can’t re-download any of this stuff if you decide you want it.

I absolutely now HATE IE, and that is so weird there is a time I wouldn’t use anything else, but, now it’s so, user unfriendly. I don’t know what happened to it or to microsoft. when I browse images, sometimes like 3 or 4 come up, when I know there’s a million out there. You can’t ‘open image in new tab’ you have to open it on your computer viewer instead; and THEN if you want to save it, you have to save it from there; it’s just a load of crap. I HATE IT.

I also hate that BING inserts a virus into your computer that makes your firefox search engine default to BING every time no matter whats listed in the ‘options’ I hate them for doing that SO MUCH, that I would delete IE just for that reason. It’s WRONG to hijack somebody’s pages.

Now I will delete ACTIVE X adobe flash from my program list and let you know the results.

• Tyler

I would make sure that you are fully updated to the latest version of Google Chrome (which is version 10, stable). Google Chrome has adobe flash built right into its browser, so you don’t have to download flash separately for it, just make sure your browser is completely updated. Hope this helps!

Pebbles,

I also see that Flash crashes in Google Chrome. I thought this was a general issue with this browser. Did you try the suggestions above and did they fix it? Please give us some feedback. Thank you!

Hello, did you by any chance noticed when this problem started happening? Did you upgraded to flash version 10 recently? Try uninstalling the Adobe Flash Player Active X Plug in, download it again and try reinstalling it. Also, if you recently upgraded to version 10 of Flash Player, try downloading version 9 and install it to see if the same thing happens. If it doesn’t, there is a bug or something with the last version of flash.

Also, you might want to uninstall your sound card drivers and restart your computer. When computer restarts again, it will install the drivers automatically.

• Jason Reid

I found a fix, at least to my issue, and it had nothing to do with flash, even though it crashed shockwave flash on chrome and FF. The issue is that there is an error on the way Bluetooth handles streaming videos from others. I know it sounds totally unrelated, but stick with me. What I did was I went in and changed one of the bluetooth files in my System 32 folder and this fixed it. Here’s what I did:

go to My Computer>C:(or whatever your hard drive is)> Windows>System32> then (scroll down to) find the file called “BtwVdpCapFilter.dll” and rename it anything else, I renamed it “BtwVdpCapFilter1.dll”

This should fix your issues. Oh, BTW, I restarted my laptop just to make sure.

• Annonymous

Hi thanks for your help.

I got as far as to the renaming part, but it said i can’t make those changes! And refused me…also the file name that you put wasn’t there either, so i tried to changed all the “Bt…” files,

anymore help? thanks,

• Susendeep Dutta

Do you have an updated version of Google chrome installed?Updated version of Chrome has separate process for tabs and moreover,Adobe flash player is sandboxed so you don’t need to worry about the whole browser getting crashed.