Why can I not share my wireless internet connection in Windows 7?

Gregory October 29, 2011

For the past week I have been struggling with trying to share the wireless internet from my laptop with my desktop. Both computers are running Windows 7.

I have tried to bridge my wireless and Ethernet connections, but the internet will not follow. Also, whenever I connect the two, I get a message on both computers saying that “Windows has detected an IP address conflict.” I cannot reset the IP address of my desktop (using “ipconfig /release”, then “ipconfig /renew”), whenever I try, it says:
“An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : The DHCP client has obtained an IP address that is already in use on the network. The local interface will be disabled until the DHCP client can obtain a new address.” (this is shown in command prompt).

I have also tried using Internet Connection Sharing, but, whenever I try to setup this up, it says that:
“An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing we being enabled.

Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled. A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing.”

This message shows up regardless if the other computer is connected or not. I do not know how to change the LAN connection’s IP address. I am assuming that the LAN connection is the same as the Ethernet connection, please correct me if I am wrong.

I have done my research, searching all over the web, in fact, I was just reading another solved post before I decided to finally put my (what seems to be) unique problem online. I do not know if I am doing something wrong. Since I can connect to both computers together and share files without any internet, just the cord, I know that both Ethernet cards are working. Also, I am using a CAT5e cable (if that makes a difference).

I have been struggling with this so much, any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Greg

1. Nic

@fragg3r:disqus

Thanks heaps mate worked a treat. Had exactly the same problem as Greg but this seemed to work for me.

Cheers

2. Greg

I know this was a while ago, but I believe I have found the cause of the problem. It appears that my laptop wishes to connection to receive the newly shared internet (LAN) to same IP address of my wireless router.

Could this be the problem, and if so, is there any way to fix it?

Thanks,
    Greg

• Greg

By the way, just thought I should mention that both laptop and computer can "see" each other and share files without internet.

ICS needs to set up the network card with 192.168.0.1 to make it work. If you have something else on your network with that address, it will break. That includes your wireless network. It's highly likely your router is ALSO using this address, hence the error. Are you able to access the router config and change the address?

That's a limitation of Windows XP

For Windows 7 Internet Connection Sharing uses the IP Address space  192.168.137.0/24 and therefor shouldn't cause that problem.

Did you try using connectify ? because it will automatically share the connection, does not require manual settings.
    download :http://www.connectify.me/download
    (Reset the settings to default first, or a system restore, if you have changed many things so you can start fresh.)

read here : connectify will help you if you have a ip conflict.
    http://www.connectify.me/announcing-connectify-v1-2
    As if it is their problem !
    So either it will let you connect, or they will provide support.
    I am not saying that they will 100 %solve the problem, but they can help you.

• Greg

Correct me if I am wrong, but connectify is only for creating a wireless hot spot. I need to share my wireless to a wired connection. If my desktop had wireless, then I would have no problem! Thanks for the help though.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126
    To use ICS, change the wireless network to a different address range,such as 192.168.1.x. or to change from 192.168.0.x to
    192.168.x.x

Hello, did you run the ipconfig /flushdns before releasing/renewing the ip address?  If you did not, try running that first and then use the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew.

The following link will show you how to set up an static IP address if that is what you want to do. At the end of the article, it will show you some images about how to do it.

http://corz.org/comms/hardware/router/static.ip.address.php

options :

If possible, reset the router.

try connectify : http://www.connectify.me 

increase the ip range of DHCP

Check if the DHCP is enabled

Read this :http://support.microsoft.com/kb/133490

8. Greg

I am not sure by what you mean by "manual IP address". On both computer, the IPv4 properties are set to "Obtain an IP address automaticaly".

As for the ICS, my bridge was deleted before I tryed the ICS. In fact, i tried using ICS before even creating a Network Bridge. The same error occurs. When I changed the IP address of the LAN connection manually, ICS forced to change it back, then the same error showed up.

I get what should happen, but whatever I try ends up with the same errors! Either just a bridged connection, or just ICS.

I would start by resetting the IP and WinSock adapter on the machine you are trying to setup the ICS/Network Bridge

1. click on Start and enter "cmd" into the Search box
      2. right-click the "cmd.exe" result and select "Run as Administrator..."
      3. type "netsh int ip reset c:resetlog.txt"
      4. type "netsh winsock reset catalog"
      5. restart your system

Now try to enable ICS as explained here. Also make sure that no proxy or automatic detection is enabled on the other computer as shown here.

• Greg

Thanks for your help Mike, but it is still not working. I get the same error as before:
        An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing we being enabled.
        Internet
        Connection Sharing cannot be enabled. A LAN connection is already
        configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP
        addressing.

Do you have any other ideas? Sorry for the trouble.

Please read @ha14:disqus comment

Although this is a WinXP problem and Windows 7 should not have this limitation with ICS I also recommend changing the IP Address space of your existing network.

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : The DHCP client has obtained an IP address that is already in use on the network. The local interface will be disabled until the DHCP client can obtain a new address.

This leads me to think that your DHCP server ran out of address space. Have you controlled whether the pool is set large enough to cover all your devices? I assume your Router is giving out IP Addresses so this is the place you want to go.

Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled. A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing.

From your description I would say you tried to enable ICS without deleting the Network Bridge prior to it. 
    1. go to the "Network and Sharing Center" within the Control Panel
    2. on the left hand side click on "Manage network connections"
    3. delete any and all existing network bridges