Why can I not share my wireless internet connection in Windows 7?

Gregory October 29, 2011

For the past week I have been struggling with trying to share the wireless internet from my laptop with my desktop. Both computers are running Windows 7.

I have tried to bridge my wireless and Ethernet connections, but the internet will not follow. Also, whenever I connect the two, I get a message on both computers saying that “Windows has detected an IP address conflict.” I cannot reset the IP address of my desktop (using “ipconfig /release”, then “ipconfig /renew”), whenever I try, it says:
“An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : The DHCP client has obtained an IP address that is already in use on the network. The local interface will be disabled until the DHCP client can obtain a new address.” (this is shown in command prompt).

I have also tried using Internet Connection Sharing, but, whenever I try to setup this up, it says that:
“An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing we being enabled.

Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled. A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing.”

This message shows up regardless if the other computer is connected or not. I do not know how to change the LAN connection’s IP address. I am assuming that the LAN connection is the same as the Ethernet connection, please correct me if I am wrong.

I have done my research, searching all over the web, in fact, I was just reading another solved post before I decided to finally put my (what seems to be) unique problem online. I do not know if I am doing something wrong. Since I can connect to both computers together and share files without any internet, just the cord, I know that both Ethernet cards are working. Also, I am using a CAT5e cable (if that makes a difference).

I have been struggling with this so much, any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Greg