How can I share a wireless connection via ethernet cable on Ubuntu 10.04?

Jack August 27, 2010

My laptop is connected to the internet via wireless, and I am trying to connect another computer to it with an ethernet cable (crossover) in order to give that second computer access to the internet. I do not have direct access to the router, and the second computer does not have a wireless card.

I attempted to use the method described here:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-easily-share-your-wireless-connection-in-ubuntu-9-10/ How To Easily Share Your Wireless Connection in Ubuntu 9.10 How To Easily Share Your Wireless Connection in Ubuntu 9.10 Read More

When I connect the computers, however, a notification pops up saying I’m connected, then a few seconds later one says I’m disconnected, then connected, then disconnected, etc.

Is there anything I can do?
I’ve researched some more complex CLI solutions, but have failed to get them to work, maybe because they seem to be made for older versions of Ubuntu.

Any help would be appreciated.

1. Willpat15

Im having the same problem

Hey Jack,

Didi you manage to fix the issue? Let us know if the above tip helped.

Aibek

3. Srinivas G

Did you try enabling 'Internet Connection Sharing' on both the systems? [Install Firestarter and check the 'Enable/Allow Internet Connection Sharing'] I'm not sure if this works but there's nothing wrong in trying. :)