How do I share my Windows XP folders with Ubuntu using VirtualBox?

Nouman August 17, 2011

I have installed Ubuntu on the VirtualBox, whereas my host OS is Windows XP SP 3.

I want to know how can I share my Windows folder with Ubuntu through VirtualBox? Please provide me a step by step process for the same.

Thank you.

1. Sb Tsengel

Thanks Sir. But a problem has happened to me, After restarting my ubuntu 10.10, My shared folder disables, How can I solve this?

2. Nouman

Thanks for that answer Jeffrey. MakeUseof truly rocks.

And has helped me in solving technical queries about almost anything.
    I will give my feedback for the same after going by your solution.

VirtualBox Shared Folders: XP Host vs Ubuntu Guest
    http://moonstone.math.ncku.edu.tw/joomla/index.php/articles/45-virtualbox-shared-folders-xp-host-vs-ubuntu-guest

Steps:1. create the share for Virtualbox in Devices / Shared folders
    2. make sure that the mount point exists in Ubuntu's file system (e.g. sudo mkdir /media/ftp )
    3. manually mount the share: sudo mount -t vboxsf share_name /media/ftp (or by using mount.vboxsf from GuestAdditions: sudo mount.vboxsf share_name /media/ftp )

4. Sonny Bass

One other thing, if you haven't already done so, install the guest additions in Ubuntu. 

Hi Nouman,

First you will need to actually create share in VirtualBox. Start Ubuntu in Virtualbox and once it's logged in, go to "Devices" and choose "Shared Folders". Click the "Machine Folders" and "New Folder" icon on the right of that dialog box and chose the folder path you want to share from Windows to Ubuntu. 

For the sake of keeping things understandable here, name the share "windows_share" and select "automount". Then press "ok". 

Then in Ubuntu open up a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal or Konsole) and type "sudo mkdir /media/windows_share" without quotes. It will prompt you for the password to temporarily elevate your privileges.  If all is well, you should now have a folder named "windows_share" in "/media". 

Now (still in terminal) type "sudo mount -t vboxsf windows_share /media/windows_share".

You should now have mounted your Windows share. Check by going to nautilus (Places -> Computer) and click "File System", then "Media" and now "windows_share". You should see all the files you have from your shared Windows path there.