How can I share a protected spreadsheet so I can edit it while others are viewing it?

Jules November 14, 2011

In Excel / Microsoft Office 2010 I have a spreadsheet I’ve protected, but others view. If anyone else is ‘viewing’ I get the message “locked for editing” and I can’t get into it to edit. Is there a way to do this, or do I need another product?

for another product you asked:
    use google docs

you can work on the file.
    you can share it as read-only by disabling editing option.

and i have not tried, but from my experience of google translate toolkit,

when someone views your document, it will show you who are these people, of you have shared it with particular persons.

yes I forgot to mention, you can apply private option, and share it with particular profiles.

it is really irritating to tolerate that small blue box that says someone is viewing it while you are working!

Hello, for more information on what cause the file is locked message, read the link below.  You already know that you cannot access the file because somebody else is working on it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313472

According to the following link from Microsoft the lockout times out after 10 minutes.  Your best option is to wait for 10 minutes until the lock times out.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899709

3. Craig Snyder

I have a limited knowledge of sharing capabilities within MS Office, but it makes complete sense to me that your document is being locked when it is being edited by another. Taking this in comparison with Dropbox, when a shared file it being edited by two users or devices (or edited by one and open by another) it created conflicted files. It just creates a very difficult scenario to merge two files that are being independently edited by two at once. If you save changes to the spreadsheet and then the other party saves changes without reloading your changes, your changes are rolled back.

I'm not too confident that there is any way around this restriction.