How can I share a printer on a wireless network?

John June 8, 2011

Windows XP desktop has a USB connected printer. I’ve done all the network and printer sharing, but the laptop still doesn’t find the network, even though it gets the wireless signal to the internet.

Can I connect the printer directly to the wireless hub and will it be recognized by the network and the laptop? Thanks.

1. Campbell

I have a canon printer and wanting to setup to my router..it is asking me use the wps push botton and hold for 5 seconds...completely lost..where is that

Hello, the following is a quick link on how to setup using WPS in windows:

http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18854/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzI5MjU3NTU3L3NpZC90VWltdElRaw==

It will show you the whole process, step by step.  In order for me to tell you where the WPS button is in your router, you need to tell me the brand name for router and also the model.  Depending on the router, some have an actual button with letters WPS to press.  Others, do not have a button but you could access WPS through the software interface. 

Keep in mind that if your router is older, it might not be WPS compatible.  You could also choose the pin method also available in the configuration.  Let me know the model and how it goes.

2. Brad Haskovec

Trying to share a printer over a wireless network, especially if you are using different operating systems across your network, can be a nightmare...the easiest way to get around all of that is to simply install the printer as it's own device directly to your wireless network.  Do not install it to a computer.  Most of the newer routers have their own printer server already installed -- so from your installation software on the printer, this is probably an option.  (For example, Lexmark has a separate "Wireless Network Setup" application available, where you install the printer on your network, instead of attached to a computer.)  From that point, from any other computer attached to the same network and workgroup, you simply tell the computer to "find" a printer and install the wireless printer.  If that doesn't work, find the settings that the printer used to install (it has its own IP address, etc.) and input the IP address directly into the "Add Printer" utility.  If you are connected correctly, it will find the printer and add the driver automatically.

John,

were you able to solve the issue? Please let us know!

Hello, have you checked that both your desktop and your printer share the same workgroup?  Have you checked permissions in your laptop specially if you are running an operating system other than XP.  Also, what operating system are you running on the laptop? 

One of the main reasons a network cannot be found is because it might be a hidden network.  If it is a hidden network the easier way to connect your laptop would be to make sure your network is visible/unhidden, connect to the network by providing the correct password/key and once your laptop is connected hide the network again if that is your choice. 

Also, a possible reason why you are connecting to a wireless network is because there is the possibility that you might be connecting to another network. 

In order to answer the second part of your questions you would have to provide a little bit more information such as what brand/model of printer you have and also what brand/model your wireless hub is.  There are some printers that can be connected to hubs....but without having more information is hard to tell.