How can I share a printer between computers on the same network?

Hafeez Ur Rehman May 3, 2012

Hi, i am using two IP pools with same sub net. I installed a printer on a system which has the IP 172.27.27.2 and shared it. Now I want to install this printer on the system which has IP 10.10.30.3. Both IPs can ping each other but I am unable to install the printer, can any body can help me in this matter? I use Windows 7.

1. Oron

Something is wrong with your addresses. 10.10.30.3 is a private IP address (on a class A subnet) whereas the other address is a "normal" IP address. Also, in order to help you we'd need to understand _how_ the printer was shared (via a PC, hanging directly off the network etc).

2. Matt Smith

If you are using Windows 7 I'm pretty sure the computers need to be on the same HomeGroup and you need to have printer sharing enabled on each. If you haven't done that yet, give it a shot.

They don't need to be in the same HomeGroup but if they are the printer sharing is enabled by default (or has been on all of the machines I've worked on).