How can I share a printer using a Billion ADSL router?

maurice19 February 28, 2010

I have a setup with a Billion ADSL router (model BiPAC 7300) feeding two Windows XP desktops. One desktop has a USB printer. I want to reprogram the router or the Windows networking to share the printer for use by either desktop PC.
If this is really easy then I must be really thick but it has defeated me so far. LOL

Hi, Thanks for the posted replies.

I tried this. I soon realised I also have to setup a Windows Local network connection. The "sharing files and printers" option in Windows networking spits up a advisory message which says sharing printers (and files) will allow anyone on the internet to see your drives and use your printers. That sounds like a very serious security problem to me. (Tell me if it's not please..... :-) )

Is there a way around it?

ABM Th 6.56p

Bugger!
    Here is the link: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/maintain/printers.mspx

(Actually this is not the link I was posting previously - its a better one!)

Thanks for reminding me.

thanks!

You should just be able to share the printer.

Follow the instructions on this website for detail instructions.

Essentially, Go to printers, right click on the printer you want to share, choose properties, click the share tab, and share the printer.

On the other computers on your network, go to your printers, click add printer, choose a network printer and follow the prompts.

You should then be able to print the same if that printer was attached to your computer.

Jack

I think you forgot to mention a link in your comment.

...Follow the instructions on this website...

No?