How can I share a PC internet connection with a Mac?

darragh June 15, 2010

<a href=//www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-share-the-internet-connection-between-your-mac-and-a-pc/>This MakeUseOf article</a> explains you how to share an internet connection between a Mac and PC, if the Mac has the connection.

However, I was wondering how to do it if the PC was the one connected to the net.

1. Waterfalls_wildflowers

I have Apple's Airport Extreme connected to my DSL modem. I inserted the CD that came with it on my old Windows XP laptop computer & followed directions. My new Mac Mini picked up the WIFI signal when I turned it on. Very easy, little work, no knowledge required. Now I get Internet on PC, Mac, & iPad. I also connected a printer to the airport so I can print wirelessly from my Mac but my windows machine seems to require changing settings. Hope it's not complicated and time consuming. Hope that answers your question.

See, Share a Windows XP machine's internet connection.

From the page:

This hint is intended to instruct a user on how to use Windows' Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to share an Internet connection from a Windows computer (the host) to a Mac computer (the client).

3. albert

if you phone has wifi, then if your internet connection does not have a router setup, get a wireless router. setup computer on a wire and setup your phone wireless.

What you are looking for is called "Internet Connection Sharing" in Windows parlance and you can find information on it, for example, at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126. However, personally I would use a router/modem and plug all the PCs, Macs, games consoles or other network-enabled devices into it. Simpler and much more effective.