What is the best way to share a mouse and keyboard between a PC and iMac?

Rob October 13, 2010

I have a circa 2006 iMac with a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and an HP laptop running Windwos XP. I use the HP for work and it is connected to my work network via VPN connection. No Bluetooth on the HP.

Is there a solution where I can share the Mac’s mouse and keyboard? My old KVM switch does NOT work with my MAC. Thanks!

There was a similar question a few months ago, you might want to check out the answers there as well.

See, How can I use one keyboard and mouse with multiple computers?

I agree with Mike & Ryan, but as an alternative, you should be able to use a USB KVM and a PC mouse & keyboard.

3. Ryan

Mike's answer is the same that I would recommend. Like he mentioned, as long as they are both networked it should work. I think the only issue I see is that usually they have to be near each other because you just share the mouse and keyboard, not the video display like you would with a KVM switch... Are the computer right next to each other?

You can use software to share your mouse and keyboard across multiple computers as long as they are connected to the same network.

Synergy is cross-platform (Win, Mac, Linux)
    http://synergy-foss.org

There are alternatives too...