How can I share keyboard and mouse across a VPN?

Rob Mey March 30, 2011

I have an iMac with a magic pad and Bluetooth keyboard and an HP laptop running Windows XP for my job.

Here’s the rub. The laptop is accessing my work network via VPN, so an app like Synergy won’t work. Is there another option since a KVM switch won’t wok either?

Rob,

did Mike's explanation make sense and help you solve your problem? Please let us know if you need more information. Thank you!

• Vincent Pitoscia

Not Mike, but it doesn't solve the problem for me. Most corporate VPN clients do not allow their settings to be tweaked by the end user. Unless I can find a workaround, a non-network solution is what is needed.

• Vincent Pitoscia

Correct me if I'm wrong:
    Both, the iMac and the HP laptop are connected to your home network. In addition to that the HP laptop is running a VPN client to access your companies network, right?

If this is correct there shouldn't be a problem using Synergy (or any other solution). Most likely all you have to do is change the VPN Clients settings to exclude LAN traffic and route only the necessary traffic through the VPN connection.

Personally I have it the other way around, VPN on an iMac and all other devices on my local network and never ran into problems using Synergy.

• housemex408

I have this same setup and same problem.  When you say route only the necessary traffic and exclude LAN, what type of traffic are we talking about here when you say exclude?  what about included traffic?  Examples?

• housemex408

Well, almost same setup.  I have a Windows 7 home computer and Windows 7 laptop.  Does your answer change?