How can I share my internet connection wirelessly while using a VPN?

Tom Kogwuonye August 18, 2012

I normally share my wireless connection in Windows 7, which is easy and straight forward. I opt for WEP, creating and sharing successfully.

However, when I connect my HideMyAss Pro VPN, the recipients of my wireless connection will not be able to browse using the wireless connection. So how do I create the wireless connection when I switched on my HideMyAss Pro VPN, so that the sharing can be successful with the VPN on?

1. Alastair

Connect all devices to our VPN
    If you have multiple computers or various devices connected to your network, and wish for them to be routed through our VPN servers, you may prefer to setup a VPN connection on your actual router.
    For more Information http://hidemyass.com/vpn/r5018:11/
    Setup Our VPN on Your Router
    Configure our VPN connection on your router and all devices connected to your network (computer, Playstation, Netflix, Apple TV, etc) will automatically be hidden behind our VPN.

2. Frederick Doe

Two questions:

1) How is your laptop connected to the internet

2) How are your other devices connecting to the laptop?

If your laptop is connecting to the internet through wifi, (I think that) it can't share that connection through the same wifi adapter. You might have success connecting to the internet through the laptop's internal wifi adapter and then sharing through a USB adapter (or vice versa)

• Tom

1) My laptop shares the wireless connection. I am connected to the internet through a phone modem.

2) Other devices are connected to my laptop through wireless.

3. venkatp16

Since you are connecting to a VPN it might disable your local wireless network. try sharing your VPN connection

• Tom

How do I do that?

• venkatp16

which VPN is that?? i mean what client you are using????

4. Pon

Consider using vpn router. You can share your vpn connection across your home network.

OP's question makes it sound like his sharing was done using a single wireless adapter and no wired connection. In order to make this work, he would need to create a multihomed system so a second adapter must be used, either wireless or wired (I have yet to see a wireless adapter that can handle multiple IP addresses simultaneously).