How can I share folders only with specified computers on a network?

Levent May 19, 2011

Can I share a folder only with the computers that I want on a network?

I don’t want that everyone can access my folders, but only ones I specified.

Hello, xp based computer need the following Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder component.  The following link takes you to the download site.  Follow the instructions about how to instal it and when finished restart computer:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=4F01A31D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en

2. Envelt

Thank you so much fidelis, it was very helpful:)
    As you said i ,use diffrenet operating systems (win7 & xp) and different workgroups.
    You said "For xp, to be seen you need to download/install extra protocols."
    Do you know where to download these protocols?

3. Levent

i use ultimate win 7.
    the main problem is i cant see all of the computers on my network.actually i only see myself.but when i run network i see them.

Hello, are you running a mixed network?  What I mean by asking that is if you are running a network with computers running different operating systems.  One computer might windows xp, or vista and windows 7.  If you have a computer running windows xp, it will not be seen in your network running windows 7 until something is shared from the xp computer.  For xp, to be seen you need to download/install extra protocols.  Are all your computers sharing the same name for the workgroup?  The default name for workgroup on windows is WORKGROUP, make sure all your computers in your network share same.  There should not be a problem between vista and windows 7.  With windows 7, microsoft implemented libraries, that means that you can create a network specifically for windows 7 computers, or you use the way of including all computers within a workgroup when not all the computers have windows 7 running.

Levent,

Fidelis answer is the perfect solution. Did you try it and did it work for you? Please let us know!

Hello, sure you can do what you are asking.  You have to change/implement permissions on the shared folders.  What operating system are you using?  It all depends on what version of the operating system you are using.  If you are using the Home edition version, you do not have much control, you share the folder and that is pretty much it.  If you are using the Pro version and higher you have more control and you can set the permissions you want according to different users.  What you do is:

-- highlight and right click on folder/file you want to share
    -- select properties
    -- on menu select sharing
    -- select advanced sharing
    -- check mark share this file
    -- add/delete users on the box
    -- select the permissions the users can have
    -- click on ok

If you do it this way, if a user on the network tries to access the files and he is not on the allowed list, the user will not be able to access the files/folders.