How can I share files between Windows XP and Windows 98SE?

shelbi joseph August 3, 2010

Friends, I was trying to share files between Windows XP and Windows 98SE.

I have changed the workgroup in Windows 98. It is giving a ping to the XP machine. But XP can’t ping to 98. Even though 98 pings to XP, I can’t access the sharing files.

Any suggestions or help will be much appreicated. Thanks a ton in advance.

1. shelbi joseph

Thanks, but how to set up sharing two computers using FTP? can you give me little tutorial....

I use FTP, its more secure, more customizable, have faster transfer rate (i dont know why) and without problem with system incompatibility, only disadvantage is that u cant play file (movie, game, prog) from remote system. I like full control of system but win share degrade it much. Its about choice...

3. Toño

With win 95/98 machines I used a Belkin USB transfer cable. Direct connection, easy to setup. Something similar to these: http://bit.ly/aj61A9

I think it's worth the shot...
    @juanvalera

• shelbi joseph

Grcs Toño por la sugerencia.........

4. Karl Gechlik

First off you will need to make sure both computers are on the same subnet. If they are both getting their ips from your router you should be good. Next create a user on the windows 98 machine with the same username and password as the user on the xp machine. Then make sure you share the folder and give this user permissions. Start with full permission and then make your way down to what you want. Log in to the 98 machine with the user you just created. Then use the start --> run box to type \192.168.1.1 or what ever the ip is. You should be able to access your files now.

• shelbi joseph

Karl, sorry i don't have password for xp, in that case what could be the option?