How do I share an external hard drive over a Windows network?

Katy Sullivan March 4, 2012

My external hard drive is connected to a Windows XP workstation. I’d like to share it with permissions over our network. How do I set that up?

Hello, it would work same as mounting any network or share folder in your computer.  What version of XP are you running?  Are all the computers in network running XP?

• J

Should I keep my PC connected?

2. Lee

You can share it like a normal folder, just right click it and go to Sharing and Security. In Windows 7 you can set permissions for different users and such, but I booted up my XP Mode VM and it looks like there aren't really any permission options in XP.

3. Nahar Aba Hakeem

It's easy if you already know how to share an internal drive over windows network. The problem with external hard drive arises only when the drive is unplugged. Someone who needs resources from your drive would not be able to access them anymore. And please be carefull. If you just remove the drive without first unshare the dive, the next times you hook up any new drives (doesn't matter if it's a flash drive or a hard drive), those drive will automatically be shared through all over network just as you do with previous drive.

Sharing a hard drive
    http://www.jakeludington.com/windows_xp/20060113_sharing_a_hard_drive.html

How to Network an External Hard Drive
    http://www.life123.com/technology/computer-hardware/external-hard-drive/how-to-network-external-hard-drive.shtml

1) Plug the hard drive
    2) Open My Computer, locate hard drive
    3) right click on it choose Sharing And Security, click yes for the sharing
    4) Go down to network and sharing
    5) Check the box share this folder on the network, you can change the name if you wish
    6) You can also allow Network users to change my files if you wish!
    7) Hit apply then okay
    you should see a hand on the hard drive that tells you it is ready for sharing