How can I share data between Linux and Windows on a dual boot machine?

RJ November 28, 2010

I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 using VirtualBox in Windows 7 Home Premium. But when I boot in Ubuntu it doesn’t show my hard disks or any data? How can I fix that?

1. Alex

You can try Dropbox. It's pretty nice. It's sort of like an online flash drive. You can use Dropbox entirely through your web browser(s), install Dropbox on one OS and use your web browser on the other, or install Dropbox on every computer and OS you use. You get 2 GB for free, and if you have friends that might want to use it, you can send them a referral link to get another .25 GB up to (I think) 8 GB. It's pretty nice.

2. jhpot

You've installed a virtual machine, and virtual machines by default cannot access your system files. You're going to have to set up VirtualBox's "Shared Folders" functionality. Click "Devices" followed by "Shared Folders". Once you set these folders up you'll be able to access them as network drives from within Ubuntu. Click "Places" followed by "Network" and you should be able to find it.

I'd advise against sharing your entire drive; just share what documents you need. Have a lot of fun!

• RJ

I did as u said.But when i click on Places->Network there's only 1 folder named Windows Network clicking on which displays an error saying Unable to mount location....what to do???