How can I share broadband and what are the risks?

Osama September 7, 2010

If I get a DSL broadband connection and want to share it (wired sharing, not wireless) with my neighbours, what is the procedure/method for this sharing? Is there any security risk in it? For example transfer of cookies, cache or browsing history from my PC to theirs ?

Done alot of research on this, it does fall under Theft of Services laws.

I'd like to clarify a few things here. First, the basis for the connection is a contract between the ISP and the renter of the connection. It is not illegal to connect neighbours (i.e. there is no such crime as "sharing your IP connection"), but you may be in breach of contract. This depends on the contract, so read it!
    As for who is responsible for misuse of a connection, this is by no means a clear-cut issue. I suspect that the law is different from one country to the next, but in the US there have been cases of "renters" convicted of downloading music illegally, then later exonerated when they showed that they were not aware of the misuse. In other words, in terms of the law, each person is reponssible for their actions, but you may have to go through the mill to show that you are not that person...

3. anon

I share a broadband account with a neighbor. We each pay only half the regular amount and we trust each other implicitly. There REALLY are ways around those ISP bastards.

By the Way, This is illegal. As for security, They would be connected to your network and can view your network. Meaning they can see everything you do online that is not encrypted, meaning HTTPS/SSL. There are several utilities for this online for free.

• w0lfie smith

What exactly is illegal about creating a home network? Is it illegal to build a door into your neighbours garden too, if they agree?

There are a number of ways to prevent them accessing your network whilst still sharing your internet. A free VPN would be one incredibly simple solution, for instance.

If they were this worried about security and unable to trust their neighbour, perhaps they wouldnt be thinking about running an ethernet cable into their house in the first place.

Jeez, not everyone is out to get you, you know.

• pceasies

It's not illegal, normally it's a violation of your ISPs EULA (Agreement). You are normally not allowed to share the connection with anyone in the house and definitely not allowed to charge for it unless you buy a business package, then a lot of restrictions are lifted. You want to read the agreement first and make sure they aren't going to cancel your package. Also keep in mind if they split it when it gets to there house (hubs/routers) you could potentially have 20-30 computers connected and that could really slow DSL down (especially anything under 1Mbps)

In my state it is included under Theft of Services laws. Agree with you on every thing else.

I was just trying to make the point that it is easy to steal someones info, that is all. Osama asked about the inherit Security risks, and I told him. By the way, The internet is by law a service, it has nothing to do with the neighbor. Depending were he lives he could get fined or imprisoned. Also free VPNs are slow, because of the tunneling involved.

I agree with both of the above. You should share your connection only if you trust them. the personal security aside you should keep in mind stuff like illegal file sharing etc. For instance, if one of your neighbors uses torrents for downloading copyrighted material you might be responsible for that as well (not 100% sure about it though).

When it comes to steps needed to share the internet connection check out the MakeUseOf Guide to computer networks. It explains everything step by step.

http://www.makeuseof.com/makeuseof-downloads/#networkguide

• Josh Fox

Just wanted to confirm that the owner of an internet connection is responsible for any activity done on this and they are held responsible for any file sharing done from their connection. According to the guys with lawyers, the person named on the bill is supposed to know what all users are doing with the connection. (Kind of like the driver of a car getting ticketed because the passenger wasn't wearing their seat belt.)

makes perfect sense, thanks for clarifying it.

6. Ryan Dube

I would highly suggest this well written overview by Steve on creating a Small Business network - much of it actually applies to what you're trying to do here.http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-set-up-a-small-business-computer-network/There is definitely a risk if you simply plug their internet connection into your own network - as Josh points that that gives them easy access to data on your network not protected by your PC firewall (if there's even one enabled on your computers) or any folders that you share out.I would suggest creating a subnet using a second router connected to your original network. Then your neighbors will be on their own subnet and will not have access to browse local network PCs. Obviously they could still access your PC if they know the IP, but the second router at least would put them on a different sub-network than the one your own computers are a part of.Good luck!

7. Josh Fox

Probably the easiest way would be with the appropriate length of networking cable and a network hub, not router. This will make it so all they have to do is plug their computer into the hub and it should automatically connect to the internet.There wouldn't be any risks of browsing information being shared across the network, however, anything you have on your own network could be vulnerable to them snooping around on. Anything you share on your network such as folder share, iTunes shares, shared printers, etc, would be easily accessible from the neighbors' computers. Also, if your router's security isn't setup, they might be able to access it easily. My advice is that you be sure you trust them enough to grant them this access to your network before proceeding.

100 meters max on Ethernet cable