How do I setup two step verification for Facebook today?

Neo November 14, 2011

I remember doing this before, but I’m going through the security options today and I no longer see that option to activate/deactivate/modify. Did it go away?

My friends accounts have been hacked and I want to help them activate this feature in their Facebook accounts today. Thanks so much.

1. Tiffanyigo31

I recently set up my facebook logins for approval on sighning in on a differnt device.. I have lost the code to sign in and also have changed phone numbers so I'm unable to receive another code?

you can report it here:
    they do not have individual section for account security, so i found a link for profile bug report.
    https://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=profile_bug

you can also, post it on known issues page, but they will not respond on the page, but possibly they will read it and notice it.

you can ask question in forums https://www.facebook.com/help/community

• Neolex

thanks!

3. Neolex

i've always had the "text message" option ticked for "We can notify you when your account is accessed from a computer or mobile device that you haven't used before. Choose a notification method below" under notifications in security options but i don't see the option for "Require me to enter a security code each time an unrecognized computer or device tries to access my account"...  that's the weird part...   :(

Even i don't have such option, it just notifies you about the login,
      if you are looking for this, then you can't do anything about that.
      this option seems to be rolled out for some particular countries only, as I do not have such option.
      is that what you are looking for or something else also?

http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/setup-step-verification-facebook-today/#comment-363248546

• Neolex

the first time 2 step verification was rolled out on facebook i had it.  i know because i activated mine immediately.  but with all the changes they've made since then, it totally disappeared off my account's security options.  so weird.

yes, it is weird. if it's not there in
          Account > Account Security > Security

chances are less, but check if facebook mobile and text notifiacations are still enabled.

log in from a new device.
          check if login approval is still available to you.

i checked whether it is moved elsewhere, but facebook says, it's still there.

so, first you should check whether only option is not available, or the whole feature is now unavailable to you.

you can still tell your friends to activate login approvals because you know the steps.
          Account > Account Security > Security

• Neolex

i think the feature is no longer available for me.  :(
          i tried logging in to another device and facebook sent me a notification only that device so-so has logged in to my account.  no verification/authentication code was asked or given.

a sad, sad day.

Yes, really sad.
          I think you should report it to facebook, they will consider it, if it's an error and you are not the only one with this problem.keep checking your account.

• Neolex

just to be dead sure... which email do i send my request to facebook to?

4. Neolex

i don't seem to have that. under "account settings" i only have "general", "security", "notifications", "apps", "mobile", "payments", and "facebook ads"... not "login approvals".  under security i have:  secure browsing, login notifications, app passwords, recognized devices, and active sessions.  in login notifications i only have 1 question, "We can notify you when your account is accessed from a computer or mobile device that you haven't used before. Choose a notification method below"     :(

• Jeff

Hey Neo,

You should now have two textboxes that say "email" or "text message", chose one or the other (or both). Then enable the checkbox next to "Require me to enter a security code each time an unrecognized computer or device tries to access my account". Save your settings and your done.

what exactly are you talking about ? can you explain more ?
      what is two step verification?
      - a temporary password
      or
      -recovery options like security question and trusted friends ?

what exactly there was and not now in the account settings ? i guess you are talking about trusted friends.

====================

for your friend's hacked account:

tell him to go to facebook recovery page by clicking forgot password.
      http://www.facebook.com/recover.php
      enter email id or cell number or username
      click submit
      select send code option.
      you will get a password reset link/code on your email/mobile.
      reset the password  by entering and confirming the password.

• Neolex

2 step verification is having 1 permanent password to login to your account and a temporary one that facebook will text you after you entered your password.  you will not be able to login to your account without both entered correctly.  as far as i know, only google has this feature outside of facebook.

• Yogesh Verma

login approvals is now login notifications

• Jay.0

login approvals could prevent an unauthorized account access, and login notification just notifies you when the account is accessed.

Unfortunately, It was never available on my account.

5. Jeff

Hi Neo,

Log into your Facebook and select the drop down icon (the arrow down, next to 'Home' in the top right) and select the "Account Settings" tab from the top left. Once the page loads, you will see "Login Approvals", select the corresponding "Edit" label and enable the checkbox for Login Approvals. Then press "Apply". This will launch the setup wizard.

Make your friends aware of the hacking technique, phishing so they can properly identify Facebook. Be sure that you create a secure password and change it every three months.

For additional security, enable "Secure Browsing" which will encrypt your transmitions to and from Facebook to mitigate network sniffing attacks and be sure to log into Facebook using https://facebook.com/ (notice the S for Secure).

Does this solve your problem?
    - Jeff