Renato

How can I setup a network bridge between a wirelessly connected Windows 7 laptop and an Ubuntu desktop (no internet)?

25 Feb 2011
25 Feb 2011 | |

Alright everyone, I need some help and I’m frustrated. First, a little background info. I have a laptop with Windows 7 that is wirelessly connected to my router, and a desktop that used to have Windows XP AND Ubuntu dual booted.

To get my desktop connected to the internet, I had to jump through a million hoops just to get one little network bridge to work. Somehow, I got the bridge to work in both operating systems, so I had internet when I was in either Windows XP or Ubuntu. Sadly, I have long since forgotten the process, even though I know that it was simple. I’ve also completely removed Windows XP because it was just giving me too many problems, and I got fed up with it.

My setup is simple:

[Router]~~~(WiFi)~~~[Windows 7 Laptop]—(ethernet cable)–[Ubuntu Desktop]

Like I said, I’ve gotten it to work before, but for the love of me I can’t figure it out again.

I’ve already created the bridge on the laptop: selected the wireless connection + the ethernet connection and bridged them, and I think that’s all I have to do on the laptop. What I don’t remember is what I need to do on the desktop, and even though it’s on Ubuntu, I remember that it was similar to, and almost easier than, getting it to work on Windows XP. I think it has to do with assigning IPs or something on the desktop. I can’t remember.

So, please, I’d love some help. I hate having to deal with these problems, especially with my limited free time :(