Need Help Settings for Portable/Laptop Power Scheme

Will`` February 2, 2010

What power scheme do I use on a laptop where when the lid is closed the pc turns “off” and then when I open the lid, it turns on automatically?? It’s confusing because there’s options to “Turn off monitor”, “Turn off hard disks”. And options to “Turn off System standby” and “Turn off System hibernates”. Do I set the lid to “hibernate” only when lid closed and set the power off to “Never” for the “Monitor”, “Hard disks”, and “System Standby”??

1. Skull

With my lappy, I choose to set the lid to send the laptop to "sleep" so I don't lose everything I'm working on if the lid is accidentally closed. I always Shut Down my laptop from the "Start Button" (It's a Windows world?) when I have everything saved. I find that depending on sleep so you have quick "startup times" does not really save me much time, a few seconds, sure, but I am really not that much of an "A Type Person", I can wait a few seconds and it is sure to be better on battery life.

Let me explain the difference between two:

1. Turn off monitor - turns off only the monitor, the computer is still running.

2. Turn off Hard Disks - the computer is shut down. The system is not running.

3. System Standby/hibernate - the computer is still running but looks like it's turned off and consumes VERY little amount of power. Handy when you want to leave your system for a couple of hours without closing your work.

Now, they way I see it you want your computer to turn on/off with the lid. Now, if you by turning "off" you're referring to putting the system into stanby mode then you need to go to Control Panel -> Power Options and set the settings for 'what closing the lid does' to put the system to Sleep. You can also set it to shut down the computer.