Why do the settings on some Chrome extensions disappear?
Question by Myke46 /

Every couple of days some of the extensions in Google Chrome lose their settings. I’ll open the browser only to find a bunch of tabs open (as if I had just installed all the extensions) including a tab claiming I won something or other.

My first thought was some sort of virus or malware, but I’ve run Malware, SuperAntiSpyWare, RisingPC, KingSoft Pc Doctor, Spybot Search and Destroy, amongst others(all in safe mode) and I come up clean.I have uninstalled Chrome and re-installed it but it still happens.

I’m not sure if it’s related but my system also seems to have a problem reclaiming free space. Can anyone help?

Hello, I guess it is the bug in chrome causing this.  According to the link the problem is with the local storage.  I have a possible workaround for you to try.  It might work…..before using the clean history in browser before closing or if it is set to do it automatically, unchecked any of the settings that would affect the local storage.  Make sure to install crap cleaner and under the applications tab, select those items to be cleaned.  Try to see if that works…if not you could try playing with the settings in crap cleaner for chrome.  I have Chrome installed and I use it a lot but I can not say that I have had this problem.

I brought up the software from previous post just in case you wanted to make sure there is no traces of malware left. Like I said, the software from previous post is pretty good but it can also cause damage if misused.

Hello, I think it is time for you to bring combofix into play.  Make sure you have backups available and also make sure to read the warnings.  Program is pretty good but only recommended in extreme cases and also when adviced by a pro.  

How to use combofix:

Download combofix:

If your system can not recover space or usage space keeps getting bigger for no reason there is something nefarious going on.   Is the computer on all the time?  Does it start by itself?  If possible get hijackthis, run a scan and upload results somewhere so that results can be taken a look at.

Make sure to download version 2.04…not the beta version

• Myke46

Fidelis:Let me clarify a couple of things and,if you still think I should try your fix,I’ll gladly follow through.The issue of not being able to recover free space is fixed,When I ran all those Live CDs I’m pretty sure I took care of all the infections(unless there is something still hidden within Chrome itself).The only suspect behavior is when I clean chrome,all extensions loose their settings(not content-for example my bookmarks are left untouched)i.e. Speed Dial,Add This,Last Pass is a good example of the issue-I loose local settings but all my passwords and other info remains safely stored on their servers.This is why I agree with Jeff that it is an issue within Chrome.
      What do you think?

Thanks,actually I ran Dr.Web’s Live CD and found a SCRIPT.Virus in an extension in Chrome,I’m hoping that was it.Will let you know later.

Hey Myke,

were you able to remove the virus and did it solve your issue? Please let us know you fixed it. Thank you!

• Myke46

Hi Tina
      Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but I was trying to figure out what is going on with my Chrome.Dr Web Live CD did remove a few instances of malware that the other scanners did not detect.Unfortunately,Jeff is absolutely correct.
      I have been using Chrome for going on 3 years now and have never had this problem.I even updated to latest build and still wiping extension settings upon clean up.
      As much as I like Chrome this renders the browser useless to me.If anyone has a solution please let the rest of us in on it.

• Jeff

Unfortunately, Jeff is correct. I never get tired of hearing that ;) 

• Jeff

Hi Myke,

To start, where possible you should scan in normal mode. Safe mode restricts a lot of functionality in any software, including your scanners.

There is a known bug in Chrome, whereby if you clear your browser settings it will also delete your extension’s settings. I believe this has been patched, so make sure your Chrome installation is up-to-date.