How do I set Windows XP Pro so I can see the bootup process?

Linda Weber May 30, 2011

I like to see what my computer is doing behind the scenes. Unfortunately, the shop that built my box didn’t set it to show the process. How can I change this? Thank you!

1. Bazgee

It also helps if you add /sos at the end of the boot.ini file like this:-[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="XP Pro" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /sos

As for device initialization you will have to disable the vendor logo/boot-up logo within the BIOS settings. Where to find it is different from BIOS to BIOS but it shouldn't be too hard to find. It is usually called something with "boot-up logo" or "show logo on bootup".

As for the Windows bootup process you can disable it via msconfig.
    1. Start > Run (Windowskey + R)
    2. type "msconfig" and hit enter
    3. go to the Boot tab (BOOT.ini for XP) and select "No GUI-Boot"
    4. make sure you didn't make any other change by accident (you can easily break your system via msconfig)
    5. close it and reboot

Now you should see each and every System file and driver Windows is loading during bootup.

As for Soluto it actually starts monitoring at the time the Windows Logo shows up. Since everything before that screen is crucial/necessary for Windows to work properly it is a decent solution for monitoring your bootup process.

3. Snert

I really don't know and would like to know, too.
    Soluto helps speed your boot time and let's you watch what's happening , sorta, but you have to choose what and why.