How can I set up my Windows Live Mail email account?
Question by Kathie McCarthy /

I need to know how to correctly set up my email account so that my inbox receives my mail and not my deleted box. I use Windows Live on an Acer laptop with Windows 7 Premium. I really need step by step instructions on what setting to use.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Chukwudi

I was trying to sign-in my username&password through msmwindowlives but the reply was the username&password is invalid what is the problem

Check if you have typed your credentials correctly.Next thing is to see if your caps lock is on as passwords are case sensitive.

• awji arbow

my email is been blocked for untrusted certificate and i dont know why ?
    so now i would like to be assisted for this mistake happen pleas

Follow these steps to remove the certificate:
      a. Open Internet Explorer.
      b. Click on Tools and then click Internet options.
      c. Select the content tab.
      d. Click on certificates.
      e. Select thePersonal tab.
      f. Select the certificate and click remove.
      g. When prompted to confirm the deletion, click yes
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931850

• Susendeep Dutta

Did you checked your system date and time?

• janice young

Am ido this right.coul make easier since block account

• Jay.0

Try this for that error :
    Sign in again after signing out (or restart pc),

If you still receive the error :
    Go to Internet explorer > tools> internet options >connections >lan settings>check automatically detect settings >press ok/apply

Close the browser and start a new session.

http://forums.techarena.in/technology-internet/1385717.htm

Hello, a webmail based email is when you have an account with an online service and access through hotmail, msn, yahoo, gmail, etc.  An ISP based email is the email given to you by Internet service provider when you open/order an internet package.  For example, let’s say that you order internet service with a company named verizon.  They will provide you a username and password.  They will also provide the server configuration for pop(receiving) and smtp (outgoing email).  It would look similar to below example:

username: lalalallal
    password: lalal23

pop3: pop3.verizon.com
    smtp: smtp.verizon.com

POP is the original incoming/retrieval protocol for email and it uses port 110.  The most recent version of it is POP3. 

SMTP is the protocol used to send emails and it uses port 25.

The error you are getting could be caused by a wrong password.  Check the settings and make sure they are correct in your account with the steps provided in previous post.  When you use windows live mail to set up an account with hotmail, gmail, etc., you just have to put your email and password, then it will be configured for you.

Another thing that can cause this problem is firewall configuration.  Make sure that windows live mail is not being blocked by firewall.  If it is, make sure to mark it as a trusted.  An easy way to find out if this is your case, is by turning off/disabling firewall and try sending/receiving email.  If you can, then that means it is your firewall brocking windows live mail.

Also make sure that time is being synced with an online server and it is right.  To check, try the following:

— right click on the time in taskbar
    — click on adjust time and date
    — click on internet time tab
    — click on change settings
    — select a server by clicking on down arrow
    — click on update now and click on ok

For POP, make sure to read and follow the instructions in previous post about setting email.  If you need any more help, let me know.

Hello, Is this a web-based email your are trying to setup?  or one from your ISP provider?  Here is what you do:

For an ISP provided account:

— open windows live mail
    — on blue box on top, click on down arrow
    — click on options
    — click on email accounts
    — click on add
    — select email account and click on next
    — type the email address and password.  It is up to you if you want to set it up to remember password or not.  Select a display name for account and once all info is typed, click on next
    — Under Incoming server information, select a server type.  This depends on your account.  If it is an account with your ISP, they should have provided you with the info.
    — select POP and under server address type: pop.xxxx.xxx.  (make sure to replace xxxxx.xxxx with info given to you)  If it requires a secure connection, make sure to mark the option.
    — Under Outgoing server information, under server address type: smtp.xxxx.xxx.  If it requires a secure connection or authentication, make sure to mark the option.  click on next
    — click on finish

For webmail account:

— follow same steps above up to click on email accounts
    — click on add
    — type webmail address and password.  Also change display name and click on next
    — click on finish

To try and see if your settings work, try the following:

— make sure you are in Home tab
    — on menu, on far right, click on send/receive
    — if you have more than one account setup, click on send/receive down arrow and click on all email accounts.
    — your email/emails accounts should be refreshed.  If account is setup right, you should be able to send/receive your emaiI.  If there is any error, make sure to check your settings.  These are the basic configuration settings.  If there is any questions let me know.

When you configure your account on and email client using POP3 settings, make sure that the option to leave a copy of message on server is enabled. Otherwise, messages that you’ve downloaded into your email client will be moved to the Deleted folder of your account when you access it in the Web.

• Jay.0

If you do not get your answer here, switch to gmail.
    you will not face such problems with gmail.