Can I set up a tri-boot system with one operating system installed on a second hard drive?

Jonn Godd July 4, 2011

I have two external drives. I was able to get Ubuntu on one of them. At start up, I can boot Windows 7 or Ubuntu. I want to know how to put Lubuntu on the other drive. Am I able to have a tri-boot system?

Jonn,

did Sonny's advice put you on the right track? Please let us know whether you managed to set up the tri-boot system in the meantime. Thank you!

2. Sonny Bass

You would have trouble if both external drives were plugged in at boot. It would be much easier to put all but the primary on the same drive. You really don't need much space for Linux if you have a drive for your media and documents. All systems share that drive. 20-25GB is more than plenty of space for most Linux systems. On my desktop I have Windows 7 pro 64, Mint-11 64, Mint Debian Xfce 64, Crunch Bang-10 64, I also have a spot formated to ex2 to keep puppy/save files for lupu, wary,quirky macpup, and Dpup. You can get around Windows not wanting more than 4 partitions by having all your Linux in an extended Partition. They can share one swap space.  I have that on a 500Gb drive with 300 of that as a document partition.